History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Basingstoke and Deane, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2652 / 51°15'54"N

Longitude: -1.082 / 1°4'55"W

OS Eastings: 464145

OS Northings: 152181

OS Grid: SU641521

Mapcode National: GBR B6H.P7W

Mapcode Global: VHD08.6GBG

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 3 May 1949

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1092578

English Heritage Legacy ID: 137918

Location: Basingstoke and Deane, Hampshire, RG21

County: Hampshire

District: Basingstoke and Deane

Town: Basingstoke and Deane

Electoral Ward/Division: Eastrop

Built-Up Area: Basingstoke

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Eastrop St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Basingstoke

Listing Text

SU 65 SW EASTROP LANE

2/18

3.5.49 Church of St Mary

- II

1774, 1886, 1912 and 1969. A small church of medieval origin with a short east
end of 1744, a middle section (former nave) of 1886, a westward nave extension
of 1912 by Sir T G Jackson, and a western lobby (1969) linked to a church hall.
The chancel has red brick walling in Flemish bond, a 4-light C19 Gothic window,
and a steep tile roof. The middle section (including a 2 tray north transept)
of 3 bays has a stone external wall above a flint base, with interior yellow
brickwork having red bands, painted 2-light window and a steep tile roof, with
interior arch braces supporting a lighter beam. The wider western nave is in
flint in stone dressings, of 2 bays with unequal traceried lights, a tall tile
roof supporting a western shingled bell tower. The small porch at the west end
of the old nave is replaced by a modern flat roofed entrance beyond the west gables,
with full-height glazing. Inside there are old gravestone floor slabs (One dated
1663), a Royal Coat of Arms of 1817, and late C19 glazed tile panels on the east
wall (Lords Prayer, Commandments and Cread), and a Crucifixion painting of uncertain
date the churchyard has old tombstones, and a modern lychgate.


Listing NGR: SU6223851421

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.