This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.251 / 51°15'3"N
Longitude: -0.7776 / 0°46'39"W
OS Eastings: 485407
OS Northings: 150918
OS Grid: SU854509
Mapcode National: GBR D9R.G77
Mapcode Global: VHDXW.GTRB
Entry Name: Gateway and Two Flanking Guardrooms to Former Willems Barracks
Listing Date: 9 June 1982
Last Amended: 4 February 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1092631
English Heritage Legacy ID: 137846
Location: Rushmoor, Hampshire, GU11
Electoral Ward/Division: Wellington
Built-Up Area: Aldershot
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Aldershot St Michael the Archangel
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
SU 85 SE
Gateway and 2 flanking
guardrooms to former
Guard rooms and gateway to cavalry barracks; disused. Dated 1856. Yellow stock brick with Portland stone and rubbed brick dressings, and slate roof Sinffic-depth plan guardrooms on opposite sides of paved area, connected by entrance gate. EXTERIOR: single-storey 5-bay guardrooms with 2-window street gables. 2 pairs of square piers with plinths and stone caps with shallow brackets, with mid C20 metal gates, and outer flat-headed wickets within segmental-arches containing stone panels, that to the left with VP, in raised letters surrounded by oak leaves over WEST CAVALRY BARRACKS, and to the right a similar panel inscribed ERECTED 1856. Short walls connect piers with the guardrooms, which have outer pilasters as the piers to coped gables, over rusticated segmental arched sunken panels containing 2 small seginental-arched 4/4-pane sashes. Opposite gables have brick dentil cornice, 3 sunken panels and a lunette. Inner sides of guardroorm have three 6/6-pane sashes, and panelled doors either side of the inner window, with a cast-iron verandah of 6 elliptical arches on thin octagonal posts xvith open spandrels. Rear of paved area closed by late C20 walls and railings. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORY: formed the entrance to the west or Willems Cavalry Barracks (demolished), a pair with the entrance to the Beaumont Barracks (qv). This was a wholly new concept in barracks planning, part of one of the original three permanent cavalry barracks built as the Wellington Lines at Aldershot. (Childerhouse T: Military Aldershot, the first fifty years: London: 1990-).
Listing NGR: SU8494650853
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings