This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2527 / 51°15'9"N
Longitude: -0.7678 / 0°46'4"W
OS Eastings: 486089
OS Northings: 151109
OS Grid: SU860511
Mapcode National: GBR D9R.JNX
Mapcode Global: VHDXW.MSY2
Entry Name: Old Union Poor House (Workhouse)
Listing Date: 20 August 1979
Last Amended: 9 June 1982
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1092640
English Heritage Legacy ID: 137866
Location: Rushmoor, Hampshire, GU11
Electoral Ward/Division: Wellington
Built-Up Area: Aldershot
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Aldershot Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
Old Union Poor House
Formerly listed as
Union Building under
SU 85 SE 2/42 20.8.79
C1630. Originated as a residence of Sir Richard Tichborne, greatly extended
following its use under the terms of the Poor Law Act of 1834. One of five
buildings within the area purchased by the War Department in 1854, for the
purpose of developing the Camp. Used by the Army 1854-79 as No 2 Station
Hospital, and afterwards as the District Pay Office.
1838-40. Of Jacobean style, the 2 storeyed main front has 3 gables and
single-storeyed wings; 1.3.1 windows. There is an extension to the rear,
finishing with another black at right-angles. Red tile roofing throughout, with
gables. Walling in red brick (English bond) with flush blue bricks in
vertical, horizontal and diagonal lines, imitative of half-timbering rather
than of Tudor diapers. On the front, there are mullion and transom windows,
but also some recent insertions of small lights at first floor level. There
is a gabled porch, with an open framed roof resting on a brick wall, with
buttresses; the off-centre placing breaks the symmetry of the fenestration.
There have been later alterations to the buildings at the rear, being extensions
and additional floors; the oldest part of the rear wall is in rubble ironstone,
with red brick buttresses, dressings, and horizontal bands. The end chimneys
are Tudor stacks, diagonal on square bases.
Listing NGR: SU8608751108
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings