This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2171 / 51°13'1"N
Longitude: -1.0121 / 1°0'43"W
OS Eastings: 469094
OS Northings: 146891
OS Grid: SU690468
Mapcode National: GBR B75.NXS
Mapcode Global: VHDXY.DNTW
Entry Name: Church of St. Lawrence
Listing Date: 26 April 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1092728
English Heritage Legacy ID: 139206
Location: Weston Patrick, Basingstoke and Deane, Hampshire, RG25
District: Basingstoke and Deane
Civil Parish: Weston Patrick
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Weston Patrick St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 64 NE WESTON CORBETT & WESTON PATRICK WESTON PATRICK
26.4.57 Church of St Lawrence
C12, and 1868 by T H Wyatt. On an old site, and retaining the general form, the church
was rebuilt by the Wyatt family, producing a stylish Victorian Gothic building. Single
cell nave and chancel, with a south aisle and vestry. The exterior has a steep slate
roof (flatter lead covered to the aisle) with a large western bell turret, having a
shingled broach spire above a double tier of openings, and slate-hung sides. The
walling is in flint with stone dressings; simple buttresses, hoodmoulds, plinth band.
The north side windows are lancets (a single and 2 coupled of different depth), the
east has 3 lancets with small roundels to give a plate tracery effect, the west has an
8-cusped circular light above 2 detached lancets. There is a porch with a timber frame
on a stone base wall, with arch-braced gable, enclosing the oldest surviving feature
(from the original church) of the Norman doorway, a plain round arch with a square
outer moulding finishing on square abaci. Within, the church is enriched by moulded
nave arches, on plain drum columns with octagonal moulded caps and bases. The plain
scissors truss of the nave is covered in painted panels above the chancel, the
separation from the nave being marked by a delicate arch-braced truss (with cusped
spandrel decoration) resting on short detached marble columns, with moulded caps,
mid-band and base. At the west end of the nave a massive king-post truss supports the
bell turret above. Other details include a panelled reredos, a piscina, altar rails, a
low stone screen wall below the chancel "arch", an octagonal font, and stained glass.
A small frame encloses part of an embroidered altar cloth with initials GG George
Green, of Western Corbett House and IR, and the date 1682.
Listing NGR: SU6904247010
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings