History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hackwood House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Winslade, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2422 / 51°14'31"N

Longitude: -1.0745 / 1°4'28"W

OS Eastings: 464700

OS Northings: 149634

OS Grid: SU647496

Mapcode National: GBR B6W.54P

Mapcode Global: VHD0G.B19J

Entry Name: Hackwood House

Listing Date: 26 April 1957

Last Amended: 17 October 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1092734

English Heritage Legacy ID: 139218

Location: Winslade, Basingstoke and Deane, Hampshire, RG25

County: Hampshire

District: Basingstoke and Deane

Civil Parish: Winslade

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Farleigh

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Basingstoke

Listing Text

SU 64 NW WINSLADE HACKWOOD PARK
15/5
26.4.57 Hackwood House
(formerly listed as
Hackwood Park)

II*

A palatial mansion of symmetrical design, with a core of about 1680, which still
dictates the form which was added to and re-clad by Lewis Wyatt in 1810-13. The north
elevation of 2 storeys has set-back sides of one-bay, and a central Ionic portico to
the 7-bay (2.3.2) centre; on each side are lower 2-storeyed curving units (3 windows,
of 1810) linking to forward flanking wings (of the original layout) of 5 bays, with an
added northern unit of one-bay. Hipped slate roofing, stucco walls. A lead-clad
blocking course continues above moulded cornices, the central block including a frieze
which merges into the entablature of the portico, which has a pediment enclosing a
sculptured coat of arms. The windows of the central and flanking blocks have moulded
architraves; there is a moulded band at the first-floor cill level, and a plinth which
continues at the top of the spreading 9 stops of the entrance. The 4 Ionic columns, in
front of pilasters set against the main wall, have plain caps and full base mouldings.
The curved units, with slender cornice plain first-floor band and plinth, has a central
doorway set in an oval recess, containing 2 columns and side pilasters, with a cornice
moulding fitted into the band, the door opening being plain, witha solid frame having a
3-light fanlight and a 6-panelled door. The large central doorway within the portico
has a cornice on brackets, pulvinated frieze, and architrave. The north elevation of
each wing has a central arched recess, with impost band continuing from the first-floor
band of the main structure; on each side is a blank circular panel above a niche;
within the recess are 2 Doric columns, supporting a frieze, cornice and stepped
blocking course, with a window set back. All windows are sashes in reveals. The rear
elevation, widened in 1810 by one-storey wings from the earlier scheme of central block
(2 storeys and attic) with wings (2 storeys), to give a present symmetrical scheme of
1:3:1:2:3:2:1:3:1 windows. Hipped slate roof; stucco walls. The cornice along the
2-storeyed part projects in the centre above detached Ionic columns (the attic storey
has pilasters with base, cornice and vases at the top), plain band at first-floor cill
level, plinth. The centrepiece has French windows, the slightly-projecting ends to the
wings have wider ground-floor windows of cambered form. The single-storeyed wings have
panels above the windows, the slightly-projecting end units having a blind arch (with
keystone) enclosing a window with a stone frame (comprising cornice, architrave and
balustered dado). Sashes in reveals. The outer faces of the flanking (north) wings
are plain, but the east end of the south front is elaborately treated (to be seen at
the end of a vista along the central avenue of Spring Wood). It is a symmetrical
facade, with a pediment of the Ionic Order, with 2 columns within square pilasters,
outside which is a further bay ending with corner pilasters. The outer bays have a
panel above a stone framed niche (with cornice, architrave, and balustered base). The
centre recess has a tall 3-light opening (for French window) with a cornice, 4 console
brackets and slender panelled pilastrs. The interior contains panelling and fireplace
surrounds of the late C17 and C18 style, with carved swag ornament, brought from
Abbotstone House.


Listing NGR: SP6069858658

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.