History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Menagerie Pond Pavilion

A Grade II* Listed Building in Winslade, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2407 / 51°14'26"N

Longitude: -1.0693 / 1°4'9"W

OS Eastings: 465062

OS Northings: 149464

OS Grid: SU650494

Mapcode National: GBR B6X.0H3

Mapcode Global: VHD0G.F21R

Entry Name: The Menagerie Pond Pavilion

Listing Date: 26 April 1957

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1092740

English Heritage Legacy ID: 139240

Location: Winslade, Basingstoke and Deane, Hampshire, RG25

County: Hampshire

District: Basingstoke and Deane

Civil Parish: Winslade

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Farleigh

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Herriard

Listing Text

WINSLADE

289/16/9 HACKWOOD PARK (SPRING PARK)
26-APR-57 The Menagerie Pond Pavilion

GV II*

Garden pavilion. Dated 1727. By James Gibbs for the Third Duke of Bolton. A pavilion on the long axis of the lily pond with modern date plaque. The symmetrical facade (north-west) is open at the centre, with 2 columns and side pilasters, the bay on each side having one window (lighting a room with a doorway centred on the sheltered wall). Hipped slate roof, the slightly-projecting centrepiece being a pediment. The fully moulded Doric Order has a modillion cornice across the whole front, with a frieze containing triglyphs above the columns and pilasters. Walling is in stucco, with a plinth, leading to 2 steps in front of the open centre, the floor of which has white stone flagstones, and dark blue diagonal squares at the joint intersections. The windows have eared architraves and cills on brackets, with sashes in reveals. The inner doors have 2 large flush panels, within moulded architraves. The outer walling is of painted brickwork and the modillion cornice continues round the building. Interior: the two rooms each have a paved floor, as at the centre; original wall-panelling; panelled door soffits; moulded cornice; and a small fireplace with a re-used C17 fireback bearing the Bolton crest (and date --87).

A good-quality early-C18 garden pavilion.

The National Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Interest.


Listing NGR: SP5778451252

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.