History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

North Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Preston Candover, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1703 / 51°10'12"N

Longitude: -1.1372 / 1°8'14"W

OS Eastings: 460415

OS Northings: 141578

OS Grid: SU604415

Mapcode National: GBR 968.F9R

Mapcode Global: VHD0M.7VN7

Entry Name: North Hall

Listing Date: 26 April 1957

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1092845

English Heritage Legacy ID: 138974

Location: Preston Candover, Basingstoke and Deane, Hampshire, RG25

County: Hampshire

District: Basingstoke and Deane

Civil Parish: Preston Candover

Built-Up Area: Preston Candover

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Preston Candover with Nutley St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
North Waltham

Listing Text

SU 64 SW PRESTON CANDOVER & NUTLEY ALRESFORD ROAD
19/24
26.4.57 North Hall

II*

1794. A house of symmetrical form, with detached lower flanking structures (similar
but not identical) set back on each side but connected by low walls, and a forecourt to
the main (garden, south-east) front enclosed by wrought-iron rails and regularly placed
brick piers. Two storeys and attic. The south-east facade has 2.1.2 windows, a
steeply-pitched hipped tile roof, 2 flat-roofed dormers, fully-moulded modillion
cornice, the projecting centrepiece having an open pediment enclosing a lunette. Red
brick walling in Flemish bond, rubbed flat arches, stone cills, plinth. Sashes in
reveals. The doorcase has a segmental pediment, cornice, pulvinated frieze, scroll
brackets above narrow panelled pilasters, architrave (many mouldings are carved),
fanlight with curved glazing, ½-glazed door, flight of stone steps curving outwards and
supporting on each side wrought-iron rails. The grassed courtyard (with paved
footways) is enclosed by brick piers, each having a stone bust on moulded square base,
above a thin moulded cap, the space between the piers having a low brick wall
supporting wrought-iron rails containing ornamental features. Near the house on each
side, and on the axis of the forecourt, the rails are raised to provide a decorative
top to full-height gates. The north-west elevation has a similar form, but is recessed
in the centre, of 1.3.1 windows (one dormer above a round-headed window above the
central door). The doorcase has a cornice, frieze, carved brackets above narrow
panelled pilasters, architrave and 1/2-glazed door. The sides continue the elevational
treatment, with 4 windows to the south-west side and 5 (with a small arched doorway) on
the north-east. The flanking units are symmetrical with the front, on the south-west
with a small hipped dormer above 2 windows, with projecting quoins; the other unit
being slightly wider, of 2 storeys with an arched window above a round-headed doorway
set in a slightly projecting brick frame with a gable. Both wings are plain and
irregular in their other elevations.


Listing NGR: SU6041641576

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.