History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Preston House

A Grade II Listed Building in Preston Candover, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1768 / 51°10'36"N

Longitude: -1.1311 / 1°7'51"W

OS Eastings: 460837

OS Northings: 142309

OS Grid: SU608423

Mapcode National: GBR 968.2W6

Mapcode Global: VHD0M.BPX7

Entry Name: Preston House

Listing Date: 26 April 1957

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1092849

English Heritage Legacy ID: 138987

Location: Preston Candover, Basingstoke and Deane, Hampshire, RG25

County: Hampshire

District: Basingstoke and Deane

Civil Parish: Preston Candover

Built-Up Area: Preston Candover

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Preston Candover with Nutley St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
North Waltham

Listing Text

SU 64 SW PRESTON CANDOVER & NUTLEY BASINGSTOKE ROAD
12/12 (B3046, north)

26.4.57 Preston House

II

1745, 1962. A house of classical form, the north-west side having had alterations, of
which the latest is a complete 'Georgian' front (1962) extending the whole block by one
bay. The main south-east facade, of 2 storeys and basement, has 2.3.2 windows. Hipped
tile roof, with a moulded cornice (once surmounted by a balustraded parapet), and a
central pediment. Walling is of the old brickwork in Flemish bond (exposed by the
removal of a stucco finish), 4 pilasters with moulded bases, cambered openings, stone
cills, rusticated stucco basement wall below a moulded plinth. Sashes in reveals.
Stone doorcase with a blocking course above a Doric pilaster order, with a flight of
widening stone steps. The north-west elevation is 1962, of 2.1.2 windows; a 4-column
Doric portico is below a large Venetian staircase window. There are 4 pilasters (in
stucco and copied from the originals of the front now removed) with a cap design. The
side elevations were of 5 regular windows, but an extra window between pilasters now
exists on the west side. The interior contains the Georgian treatment, with old and
new features.


Listing NGR: SU6083842317

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.