History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Basing House Ruins, Including the Old House and the New House

A Grade II Listed Building in Old Basing and Lychpit, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2686 / 51°16'7"N

Longitude: -1.0519 / 1°3'7"W

OS Eastings: 466236

OS Northings: 152590

OS Grid: SU662525

Mapcode National: GBR B6J.JVD

Mapcode Global: VHD08.QC7T

Entry Name: Basing House Ruins, Including the Old House and the New House

Listing Date: 26 April 1957

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1092911

English Heritage Legacy ID: 138833

Location: Old Basing and Lychpit, Basingstoke and Deane, Hampshire, RG24

County: Hampshire

District: Basingstoke and Deane

Civil Parish: Old Basing and Lychpit

Built-Up Area: Basingstoke

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Old Basing St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Basingstoke

Listing Text

SU 6652 OLD BASING BASING HOUSE
6653
22/66
26.4.57 Basing House Ruins,
including the Old House
and the New House

II

C12, C16. The site includes earthworks of a motte and bailey castle of Norman date,
the motte being a large circular area for the accommodation of buildings, surrounded by
a raised bank; to the south are outer defence mounds of the C17. After 1531, the motte
was completely redeveloped as a large residence (the Old House), the top of the rampart
on the outside having a brick wall and the inner side being lined with a series of
structures, the central space having a large hall, courts, and other buildings. What
survives is a complex of the lower parts of buildings, indicating cellars, kitchens
with fireplaces, circular staircases all built of red brick in English bond, with
several 4-centred chamfered arched openings. Only a short time later, the New House
was built, mainly on the outside and to the north-east of the original castle, in the
form of a series of rectangular structures around a central courtyard; what remains are
brick footings and a large well, the canal development of the late C18 having cut away
the outer parts. The footings of a large gateway mark the entrance to the Old House,
the approach being a bridge across the ditch between the original motte and bailey,
remaining as a painted brick arch. Throughout the area other base structures lie
hidden, including a tunnel from the Keep under the moat, on the west side. This
extensive fortified residence served as a strategic defence point during the Civil War,
being held for the King in a famous siege which ended in the storming of Basing House
by Cromwell in 1645. The area was later "slighted" and not rebuilt, its materials
(mainly Tudor bricks) being re-used in the construction of many of the village houses.
General protection is now given by the status of Ancient Monument, but the ancilliary
structure with substantial survival are treated as separate items.


Listing NGR: SU6613352592

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.