This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2719 / 51°16'18"N
Longitude: -1.0025 / 1°0'8"W
OS Eastings: 469682
OS Northings: 153004
OS Grid: SU696530
Mapcode National: GBR B6L.5D1
Mapcode Global: VHDXR.K9W8
Entry Name: Church of St Swithin
Listing Date: 26 April 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1092926
English Heritage Legacy ID: 138767
Location: Newnham, Basingstoke and Deane, Hampshire, RG27
District: Basingstoke and Deane
Civil Parish: Newnham
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Newnham with Nateley Scures with Mapledurwell with Up Nately with Greywell
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 65 SE NEWNHAM NATELY SCURES
26.4.57 Church of St Swithin
C12, 1786, 1865 (restoration by Salvin).
Single cell aisleless apsidal church (a very rare form). Tile roof; the west gable has a stone bell turret (of 1865) with 2 openings below a gable, stepped bases running onto a stone verge. Flint walling with stone dressings, small Norman windows (3 original in the apse, 2 on the nave south wall being 'period' replacements of larger C14 lights) a tall (Norman) west window. A feature of the church is the north door of Binstead stone, with zig-zag and bead and reel mouldings on the outer arch, which is supported on shafts with carved caps; the inner order has a trefoil head with rolled cusps. Within, there are wide window splays, a gallery mainly of 1786 but with a moulded beam carrying a brass plate dated 1591 (indicating an early Post-Reformation structure), an arch-braced timber-framed roof of 1786. There are many wall monuments of the C19 to the Carleton family (whose vault is below the shole of the nave), some with interesting connections with early Canadian history. A fine (unusually modern?) Salvin pulpit.
Listing NGR: SU7011753738
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings