This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2626 / 51°15'45"N
Longitude: -0.9971 / 0°59'49"W
OS Eastings: 470069
OS Northings: 151972
OS Grid: SU700519
Mapcode National: GBR B6M.STT
Mapcode Global: VHDXR.NJQF
Entry Name: Church of St. Stephen
Listing Date: 26 April 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1092941
English Heritage Legacy ID: 138699
Location: Mapledurwell and Up Nately, Basingstoke and Deane, Hampshire, RG27
District: Basingstoke and Deane
Civil Parish: Mapledurwell and Up Nately
Built-Up Area: Up Nately
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Newnham with Nateley Scures with Mapledurwell with Up Nately with Greywell
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 75 SW MAPLEDURWELL & UP NATELY GREYWELL ROAD
26.4.57 Church of St Stephen
Circa 1200, C15, and 1844. Nave, small chancel, and west tower. Of the earlier
structure the south wall of flint and the chancel arch remain, with a Perpendicular window on the south side and a Norman doorway (with dogtooth edging) on the north the nave roof is a scissors truss with arch bracing, of the C15. The exterior is mostly of 1844, the walling having bands of red brick and flintwork, with buttresses (diagonal at corners), windows are coupled lights in Perpendicular style, under hoodmoulds. The slender tower, (of 1844) has 3 stages, the upper being mostly brickwork, with a crenellated parapet; within, the tall arch produces a 2-storeyed effect, the upper part with an open vail (old communion rail) to a balcony, and a hatchment Royal Coat of Arms of 1829. At the floor level is a Victorian Perpendicular font, and on the south wall a Greek ikon (a painting of St Thomas on a thick wood panel). Next to the entrance is an
old almsbox. The restoration period also accounts for a small vestry in the position of a south porch, and for the smallness of the chancel, which has a 3-light window.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings