History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Candovers, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1537 / 51°9'13"N

Longitude: -1.1694 / 1°10'9"W

OS Eastings: 458188

OS Northings: 139708

OS Grid: SU581397

Mapcode National: GBR 96D.R4H

Mapcode Global: VHD0S.P84F

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 26 April 1957

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1093001

English Heritage Legacy ID: 138539

Location: Candovers, Basingstoke and Deane, Hampshire, SO24

County: Hampshire

District: Basingstoke and Deane

Civil Parish: Candovers

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Brown and Chilton Candover St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Popham

Listing Text

SU 53 NE CANDOVER BROWN CANDOVER
21/13
26.4.57 Church of St Peter

II*

1845, by Thomas Henry Wyatt (following the demolition of the medieval church in 1844).
Aisleless nave of 7 bays and chancel of 2 bays, with a western tower attached to the
south side of the last bay of the nave (acting as a porch), a small vestry at the south
side of the west bay of the chancel. Generaly of Early English style, there is steep
tile roofing. Walling is fine squared flintwork with stone dressings to windows,
stepped buttresses (diagonal at corners), cill bands and plinth. Nave windows are
coupled lights with simple tracery, the larger east (3-light) and west (4-light)
windows being of Perpendicular appearance; the chancel windows are small lancets. The
tower has 2 tall stages and supports a lead broach spire of medium height, with coupled
openings to the belfry; the lower (but still tall) section has corner buttresses and
short staircase turret. There is also a small projection at the west end of the nave,
and attached to the tower with a small window formerly used (inside) as a recess for
the font). Within the nave is spacious, with an open timber roof having tie-beams
with decorated brackets, from which rise at the centre architraves and a vertical. The
high pulpit is approached through a small door (from the Vestry). The Communion rails
are C17 Flemish, with pierced panels in high relief containing putti amid floral
designs. A small C16 brass is on the north wall of the chancel. Other fittings are in
period, the total representing a stylish Gothic Revival building.


Listing NGR: SU5843039772

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.