This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1586 / 51°9'31"N
Longitude: -1.157 / 1°9'25"W
OS Eastings: 459049
OS Northings: 140267
OS Grid: SU590402
Mapcode National: GBR 96F.89B
Mapcode Global: VHD0S.W4QM
Entry Name: Remains of the Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 26 April 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1093003
English Heritage Legacy ID: 138541
Location: Candovers, Basingstoke and Deane, Hampshire, SO24
District: Basingstoke and Deane
Civil Parish: Candovers
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Brown and Chilton Candover St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 54 SE CANDOVER CHILTON CANDOVER
Remains of the Church of St Nicholas
Circa 1100, 1876, 1925. The remains comprise a crypt, with the main part of a nave, and a small apsidal chancel. The walling and barrel-vaulting is in flint, and there are stone dressings to the round-headed chancel arch. Interior splays to small lancets at about ground level; the whole is now capped with a weather proof slab. The structure dates from about 1100, but the church above ground (in its latest form) was demolished in 1876, the crypt being excavated in 1925. A staircase with brickwork cambs descends to a forecourt (part of former nave) and leads through a modern doorway to the interior, which contains a stone coffin, a font, and a tomb slab (of John of Candover) of the C14. The surrounding graveyard has only a scattered collection of gravestones and table tombs, nearly all of the late C18 or early C19.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings