This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.1368 / 51°8'12"N
Longitude: -1.467 / 1°28'1"W
OS Eastings: 437390
OS Northings: 137639
OS Grid: SU373376
Mapcode National: GBR 73K.MXY
Mapcode Global: VHC35.JPBD
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 29 May 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1093181
English Heritage Legacy ID: 140184
Location: Leckford, Test Valley, Hampshire, SO20
District: Test Valley
Civil Parish: Leckford
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Leckford St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 37 37 LECKFORD LECKFORD LANE A3057
14/6 Church of St Nicholas
Parish church. C13 core largely rebuilt C16, restored C19 and early C20.
Flint with stone dressings and much brick repair, mostly rendered, old plain
tile roof. Plan of nave with chancel set off centre to S, with S wall
continuous, and in NE early C20 organ chamber in outshot, W bellcote. E end
of chancel has plinth, C18 diagonal-set brick buttresses and C16 squareheaded
3-light cinquefoiled window. On NE door to outshot, on S high plinth and to
W of centre reset C13 2-centred 2-order doorway, above C16 squareheaded 2-light
cinquefoiled window. C18 buttress at SE of nave with 2 C17 headstones built in.
In centre C19 gabled carved timber porch on brick plinth and inside C15 2-centred
door of 2 continuously moulded orders. Buttress to E and at W end and each
side C16 squareheaded 2-light cinquefoiled window. N wall of nave has
diagonal E buttress, buttress in centre and W end, and near each end C16
squareheaded 2-light windows with hood-moulds. W of centre C13 2-centred
door blocked with brick. W end has 2 tall buttresses and C15 2-light window.
On roof at W square weatherboarded bellcote, 3 louvred openings on each face,
with flat roof. Inside chancel C16 slightly hollow chamfered rear arches.
In SE is an image corbel. Medieval altar stone on C20 stone columns, with
small continental reredos, installed C20. Reset C17 altar rails with turned
balusters, and moulded rails. On N and S walls C16 Italian stalls, 7 each
side, back panels having fluted Doric pilasters and frieze of cherubs heads,
installed C20 with copies of altar rails in front. In SW reading desk
incorporating parts of C15 screen. King post roof. C16 chancel arch of 2
continuously moulded orders of ogee and hollow chamfer. In N respond is
narrow trefoiled niche and to N on E nave wall a larger similar niche, perhaps
over an additional altar, due to unusual plan. Windows except W have moulded
4-centre rear arches on shafts. In SE C17 pulpit with tester over having
finials and hanging arches. W bay has 2 large posts to bellcote. In centre
C13 square Purbeck font with blind arcading, on large column on moulded base.
Along sides C16 pews, rest C19. Floor slabs: 1707 to John Smith, 1787 to
Henry King. On N wall memorial 1630 to Sir John Thornburgh and on W wall
monument 1827 to Henry King. Plastered Cl6 roof with tiebeams. C16 and C17
bells. VCH; 1911; Vol 4 p448-9.
Listing NGR: SU3730137592
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings