History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stable and Coachhouse 100 Metres North East of Amport House

A Grade II Listed Building in Amport, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1958 / 51°11'44"N

Longitude: -1.575 / 1°34'29"W

OS Eastings: 429794

OS Northings: 144152

OS Grid: SU297441

Mapcode National: GBR 619.YDN

Mapcode Global: VHC2X.N67M

Entry Name: Stable and Coachhouse 100 Metres North East of Amport House

Listing Date: 8 January 1982

Last Amended: 24 October 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1093278

English Heritage Legacy ID: 140010

Location: Amport, Test Valley, Hampshire, SP11

County: Hampshire

District: Test Valley

Civil Parish: Amport

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Amport St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Grateley

Listing Text

SU 2944 AMPORT FURZEDOWN LANE

8/4 Stable & Coachouse 100
Metres North East of
8.1.82 Amport House (formerly listed
as stable block to North East of
Amport House)

GV II

Stable block, with extensions to provide added coachousing and domestic quarters.
1857, by William Burn, and late C19. Yellow brick with stone dressings, & hipped
slate roof. The original range was symmetrical, with a central carriage arch,
flanked by stables and coachouse on each side, the west side being extended to the
later 2-storeyed coachouse and house, forming an L-shaped unit. The external
(south) elevation is plain, with 3 small ventilating windows (at each side) below
the eaves, the centrepiece having side pilasters (with moulded stone caps)
supporting an arch (with architrave moulding) with a key joined to a cornice with
a central pediment (to each face); this supports a tall & narrower stone clock
tower, with a plain base (with a moulded panel), a clock stage with Tuscan columns
outside the chamfered corners, and an entablature capped by a leaded ogee dome, of
octagonal plan with wide faces containing projecting oval ventilators. The court-
yard elevation (north is irregular but the return 2-storeyed block is symmetrical
(east) with a hipped roof having moulded brick eaves, raised in the centre as a
pediment, 3 windows above 3 oval arched carriage openings; to its north side is a
lower 2-storeyed domestic wing, the north face of which (facing Furzedown Lane)
has a hipped slate roof, moulded brick eaves,cambered openings with casements, and
a plinth.


Listing NGR: SP2382742586

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.