This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2513 / 51°15'4"N
Longitude: -1.5081 / 1°30'29"W
OS Eastings: 434423
OS Northings: 150347
OS Grid: SU344503
Mapcode National: GBR 724.HHX
Mapcode Global: VHC2K.TT25
Entry Name: School
Listing Date: 27 September 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1093285
English Heritage Legacy ID: 139923
Location: Tangley, Test Valley, Hampshire, SP11
District: Test Valley
Civil Parish: Tangley
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Hatherden with Tangley
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 35 SW TANGLEY HATHERDEN
Primary school. Late C18, 1860, early and late C20. Brick, flint, and tile.
The old part appears as a house with a symmetrical front (south) of 2 storeys
and attic, 2 windows. ½-hipped roof, with catslide at rear. The front wall
is of painted brickwork in Flemish bond, with cambered ground floor openings,
plinth: the east wall is rendered. 3-light casements. Panelled door (glazed
at the top) within a plain frame, protected by a C19 tiled hood on brackets.
Above the doorway is an oval plaque set in a rectangular panel, with corners
decorated with winged cherubs, fern leaves and roses, inscribed ... "This
Charity School for 24 Poor Children of Hatherden and Wildhern was endowed by
James Sambourn, Merchant. Born in Andover 20th October 1725. Dei Donum
Des Datum". Above this inscription is a smaller panel containing a shield with
3 x 5-pointed stars. A late C19 doorway has been inserted next to the window
on the west side. Attached to the 'house' on its west side is a hall school of
c1860, assumed to be by William White (the architect of the adjoining church).
With a gable and a large window to the front, the building has a tile roof,
walls of large flints with thin horizontal brick bands, brick quoins with angled
rustication, with a buttress to the west wall. Casements. A further hall is
attached in a set-back position, of the early C20 but conforming in size, form,
and materials. Separate pre-fabricated classroom of the late C20.
Listing NGR: SU3476850586
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings