History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rookery Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hurstbourne Tarrant, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2756 / 51°16'32"N

Longitude: -1.4543 / 1°27'15"W

OS Eastings: 438164

OS Northings: 153083

OS Grid: SU381530

Mapcode National: GBR 71T.Z11

Mapcode Global: VHC2L.R61F

Entry Name: Rookery Farmhouse

Listing Date: 20 December 1960

Last Amended: 27 September 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1093338

English Heritage Legacy ID: 139835

Location: Hurstbourne Tarrant, Test Valley, Hampshire, SP11

County: Hampshire

District: Test Valley

Civil Parish: Hurstbourne Tarrant

Built-Up Area: Hurstbourne Tarrant

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Hurstbourne Tarrant St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Hurstbourne Tarrant

Listing Text

SU 3853 HURSTBOURNE TARRANT THE HILL

10/63 Rookery Farmhouse
2012 60 (Formerly listed as The
Rookery)

GV II*

Georgian house, associated with William Cobbett. 1776. Brick and tile.
Symmetrical front (south-east) of 2 storeys, 3 windows. Hipped roof, with
moulded brick eaves having carved dentils. Walls of blue headers with flush
red dressings; quoins, vertical panels containing the windows, projecting
1st floor band, stepped plinth. Sashes in exposed frames, triple except for
centre. Doorway with moulded canopy with panelled soffit, carved brackets,
architrave, with panelled door (the upper ½ glazed), and a single step. The
side elevations have Flemish bond with blue headers. The rear elevation has
horizontal flint panels, the projecting south side containing similar features
but the other parts being altered; a low wing at the north side has been
raised to 2 storeyed level with a flat roof. This wing has a brick incised
A.H. 1776; the front boundary wall has a brick incised WC 1825 (said to have
been carved by William Cobbett). The interior has many plain original features,
including a staircase, panelled doors in architraves, dado panelling, and a
corner cupboard.


Listing NGR: SU3823553094

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.