History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II* Listed Building in North Baddesley, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9858 / 50°59'8"N

Longitude: -1.4278 / 1°25'40"W

OS Eastings: 440258

OS Northings: 120862

OS Grid: SU402208

Mapcode National: GBR 75J.5TX

Mapcode Global: FRA 76WH.ZGG

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 29 May 1957

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1093668

English Heritage Legacy ID: 141132

Location: North Baddesley, Test Valley, Hampshire, SO52

County: Hampshire

District: Test Valley

Civil Parish: North Baddesley

Built-Up Area: North Baddesley

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: North Baddesley St John Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Chilworth

Listing Text

NORTH BADDESLEY FLEXFORD ROAD
SU 42 SW
4/16
Church of St John the
Baptist
29.5.57

GV II*

Parish church. Of nave, chancel C15, west tower and west wall of 1674, C19
north vestry, restoration of 1878 by G G Scott. The chancel was rebuilt to the
same width as the nave, to produce the present single cell church, with south
porch and west tower. Walls of flint and stone rubble to the nave, stone rubble
to the chancel, brickwork in English bond to the tower and west end of nave, with
lower parts having large stone quoins and bands of flint, vestry walls of
flint with stone dressing, two massive stepped buttresses at the west end (north
and south walls) of the church, of brickwork above a stone base. Tile roof. C14
and C15 coupled traceried windows, with three cusped lights to the C15 east
window; one Victorian copy, and a C18 casement lighting the gallery. C15 style
C17 porch, with a wood arcade on massive side walls, and a moulded stone south
door. The tower is crenellated, with narrow openings to the bell stage, and a
stone plaque above the small west window with raised figures 1674 and initials
S T (Simon Tredgo) and T C (Thomas Compton). Interior: wood barrel vault to
the chancel, which has a medieval (Hospitallers) altar tomb, a Tuscan monument
(of 1620, John More) placed diagonally, a small painting by Annibale Caracci, and
a wood screen of 1602, with lower panels and balustered open rails above.
Early C17 panelled pulpit with octagonal tester, C14 octagonal Purbeck font, C18
west gallery with C20 panelled front: above the doorway is a Royal Coat of Arms
(G3R) of 1806. From c1160 to 1536 the church belonged to the Knights Hospitallers.


Listing NGR: SU4046020644

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.