History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Michelmersh, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0193 / 51°1'9"N

Longitude: -1.5084 / 1°30'30"W

OS Eastings: 434575

OS Northings: 124556

OS Grid: SU345245

Mapcode National: GBR 751.3F8

Mapcode Global: FRA 76QF.45G

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 29 May 1957

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1093717

English Heritage Legacy ID: 140950

Location: Michelmersh and Timsbury, Test Valley, Hampshire, SO51

County: Hampshire

District: Test Valley

Civil Parish: Michelmersh and Timsbury

Built-Up Area: Michelmersh

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Timsbury St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Timsbury

Listing Text

HICWQTRSB TIMSBUBY
SU 32 SW
7/2 Church of St Andrew
29.5.57

II*

Church. C13 church, chancel rebuilt C15, C16 porch and bellcote, restored C18 &
1847. Rubble flint and stone, rendered, stone dressings, weatherboarded porch
and bellcote, old plain tile roof. Plan of C15 chancel to C13 nave with central
5 porch and W bellcote, W bay of nave is vestry. Chancel has stone plinth with
offset. E end has C15 3-light cinquefoiled window with label, and C19 kneelered
gable. To sides at W squareheaded single light similar window. On S wall 2 C18
oval memorials. Nave has to each side, at E rendered brick arch window of C18 form
but with earlier jambs, and to W of centre C13 large pointed lancet. On S side,
has central C16 gabled timber porch on brick plinth; end has large posts and tie
with arch head cut out of tie. C19 bargeboards and sides. Inside C13 chamfered
round-headed door. On E side C18 tablet, on W C17 headstone. Above to W 2-light
gabled dormer. At W C13 ogee chamfered pointed door and C18 brick S buttress.
Over square plan bellcote with continuous louvre on sides. Roof hipped. Inside
chancel E window within continuous chamfered rear arch. Each side C15 moulded
image bracket. In SE squareheaded cinquefoiled niche with pillar piscina below.
Side windows have similar rear arches. C19 furnishing and tiles. Plastered
ceiling with only chamfered tiebeam visible. C19 chancel arch of 2 moulded orders
springing off huge plain corbels. Screen C16 of central archway with carved spandrels
and each side in top half trefoiled, arcading. Nave has to SE window splayed rear
arch, with below window remains of rear arch of lancet. NE window has splay to E
and in splay below inset medieval tiles. Wide splays to central N window and
flat lintel to door. By door C18 octagonal font on pillar and base. Above door
to E remains of wall painting. King post roof. W bay blocked off by panelling below
tiebeam, plaster above, Royal Arms Board GR 1788. In NE C17 timber pulpit with
arcaded panels carved corbels for book rest and door. In SW corner cupboard dated
1713. At E floor slab William Hunt 1756, at W Richard Harris 1679. On S side C16
pews with round finials on ends. On N C19 restored plainer pews.


Listing NGR: SU3476025439

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.