History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stable Block

A Grade II* Listed Building in Mottisfont, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0416 / 51°2'29"N

Longitude: -1.5359 / 1°32'9"W

OS Eastings: 432630

OS Northings: 127018

OS Grid: SU326270

Mapcode National: GBR 74M.NHL

Mapcode Global: FRA 76NC.KFG

Entry Name: Stable Block

Listing Date: 29 May 1957

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1093729

English Heritage Legacy ID: 140981

Location: Mottisfont, Test Valley, Hampshire, SO51

County: Hampshire

District: Test Valley

Civil Parish: Mottisfont

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Mottisfont St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Timsbury

Listing Text

MOTTISFONT MOTTISFONT ABBEY
SU 3227 & SU 3226
11/2 & 12/2 Stable block
(Formerly The Stables Flats,
29.5.57 Mottisfont Abbey)

GV II*

Stable Block. "1836 AH" on tablet. Brick, some stone dressings, slate roofs.
Around courtyard, 8 bay end with 2 storey centre 4 bays, 8 bay sides again with
2 storey centre 4 bays, other end has walls with gateway. Centre 4 bays have
double doors on ground floor and roundheaded sashes with narrow edge panes on
1st floor. Pediment over with stone architrave and clock in oculus. On ridge
cupola of dome on 8 columns, and weathervane. Lower bay each side has 2 planked
doors with blind arch between. Sides have wide coved canopy which reaches out as
far as central pavilion of end. Under are planked doors with 8-pane fanlights and
16-pane sashes beside. Over canopy is raised centre 4 bay block with 12-pane
sashes in each bay. From outside entrance front has to end of sides paired pilaster
on each corner, with stone entablature. Plinth running across and roundheaded sash
in middle. On the inside face, near end, rubbed brick niche, then set back a bay
short tall wall to end canopy, ending in pier topped by stone coping and finial.
From these piers run lower quadrant walls with stone coping ending in smaller pier
surmounted by stone chained bears,


Listing NGR: SU3261827007

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.