This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1006 / 51°6'1"N
Longitude: -1.4921 / 1°29'31"W
OS Eastings: 435660
OS Northings: 133595
OS Grid: SU356335
Mapcode National: GBR 73X.TVP
Mapcode Global: VHC3C.3L1P
Entry Name: Marshcourt School
Listing Date: 29 May 1957
Last Amended: 7 February 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1093803
English Heritage Legacy ID: 140749
Location: Kings Somborne, Test Valley, Hampshire, SO20
District: Test Valley
Civil Parish: Kings Somborne
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Stockbridge St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
KINGS SOMBORNE MARSHCOURT
13/2 Marshcourt School
(formerly listed as Marshcourt)
Large country house. 1901-5, extended 1924-6 by E L Lutyens for H Johnson. Clunch
chalk blocks, Portland stone, red brick and tiles, old plain tile roof. Plan
of E Plan N entrance front consisting of corridoes on both floors of main range.
Behind this taller S main range with S projecting wing at E (on left of entrance
front) and service courtyard to E, not completed until 1905 and 1926 when behind,
to S of this courtyard large ballroom built, extending E from S facade. N entrance
front low and long is 2 storey of 2 heights, 7 wide bays with wide wings projecting
forward each end. Central 2 storey gabled porch. On ground floor archway of
Portland stone arch with key blocks curving inwards from it to detached arch
supported off plinth walls inside main arch. Underneath vaulted in stone and tile
squares. Above 2-light casement above level of eaves either side. Either side
3 bays of blank centre bay except for chequered tile strip, each side paired
3-light mullioned windows with similar over and 2-light similar over centre bays.
Hipped ends of wings have eaves raised over canted full height bays with paired
cross-windows and paired 2-light casements over. Tile chequerwork along inner of
wings at ground floor window level. Windows all leaded. Roofs hipped with
moulded 2 or 3 shaft brick stacks on outer sides of wings near front and towards
rear. On higher main roof large stack at right end of ridge, stack to right of
centre and stack behind ridge immediately right of centre. S front taller, with
vertical emphasis with several projecting bays and unsymmetrical with one
projecting end wing and added tall roofed ballroom beyond it. Service court
yard in brick and much more vernacular. Interior much as built (c.f.County
Life photographs) Country Life; Vol 71; 1932 p 316, p 354, p 378.
Buildings of England, Hampshire; Penguin; N Pevsner; 1966; p313-3. Lutyens;
Arts Council Catalogue; 1981; p103-106.
Listing NGR: SU3576130748
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings