This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0768 / 51°4'36"N
Longitude: -1.5216 / 1°31'17"W
OS Eastings: 433607
OS Northings: 130933
OS Grid: SU336309
Mapcode National: GBR 748.D3H
Mapcode Global: FRA 76P8.R0L
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 29 May 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1093867
English Heritage Legacy ID: 140597
Location: Bossington, Test Valley, Hampshire, SO20
District: Test Valley
Civil Parish: Bossington
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Broughton St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 33 SW
4/47 Church of St.James
Parish church. 1839 possibly by John Davies. Coursed flint, stone dressings,
old stone tiled roof. Plan of small chancel and nave with NE vestry/transept
and S porch. E end of chancel has 3-light lancet windows, taller centre lancet.
String below with small lancet under. Clasping buttresses on corners and
kneelered gable with cross on top of roof. Lancet on sides. Gable wall to E
end of nave with gabled stone bellcote on. On S wall triple lancet window.
To W, S gabled porch with pointed 2 chamfered order arch and inside pointed
S door. To N vestry the size of chancel facing N with kneelered gable with
weathervane on, diagonal buttresses and 3-light pointed lancet window to N.
Pointed 2 order door to E. Strip pilaster on W wall and to W on nave wall.
W end has clasping buttresses, kneelered gable and 3-light lancet window with
tiny lancet in gable. Inside the chancel E window has nook shafts supporting
rear arches. Lancets to sides have continuous keel mouldings. 2 steps in
chancel with lower E floor of marble. Furnishings C19, except for C17 altar
table and stools. 2 chamfered order pointed chancel arch. Nave and vestry/
transept have nook shafts to rear arches. Roof has central raised base cruck
on corbels! Furnishings C19 good copies of medieval stalls and octagonal baluster
font. On floor to E 3 reset headstones; 1657 to Howard Kelsey; 1682 to John
Kelsey; 1682 to John Kelsey. Raised early C19 Gothic pew at W and 2 similar
in raised vestry/transept. High on W wall C18 Royal Coat of Arms.
Listing NGR: SU3276829675
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings