History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary the Virgin

A Grade II* Listed Building in Broughton, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0947 / 51°5'40"N

Longitude: -1.5602 / 1°33'36"W

OS Eastings: 430894

OS Northings: 132914

OS Grid: SU308329

Mapcode National: GBR 62P.8CK

Mapcode Global: FRA 76M7.80G

Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin

Listing Date: 29 May 1957

Last Amended: 7 February 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1093875

English Heritage Legacy ID: 140619

Location: Broughton, Test Valley, Hampshire, SO20

County: Hampshire

District: Test Valley

Civil Parish: Broughton

Built-Up Area: Broughton (Test Valley)

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Broughton St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Middle Wallop

Listing Text

BROUGHTON HIGH STREET (east side)
SU 3032
11/20 Church of St Mary the
29/5/57 Virgin (Formerly listed
as Church of St. Mary)
GV II*

Parish church. C12 origins, c1200 N aisle, early C13 S aisle and nave lengthened.
C15 tower and nave clerestory, C17 rebuilt to nave and chancel, 1853 and 1901
restoration. Rubble flint, brick repairs, stone and brick dressings, old plain
tile roof. Plan of C12 church, chancel rebuilt C17, C19 N vestry, nave with C13
W bay, C15 clerestory, c1300 S aisle with porch rebuilt 1921. C13 N aisle with
C19 porch, and C15 W tower, remodelled C19. E end of chancel rebuilt C19 has
stepped 3-light trefoiled window recessed under pointed arch. Roof overhangs
supported on timber corbels. S side has 2 C17 2-light squareheaded windows,
W one taller and low set. To N is C19 gabled vestry with to W of it C19
2-light window. Tile hung exposed E gable of nave. Clerestory has on N to E 2
C15 squareheaded 2-light trefoiled window, and to W C19 copy and C17 squareheaded
2-light roundheaded window. On S 3 C19 2-light trefoiled window and similar
C17 window at W. S aisle has at E end C19 2-light trefoiled window, C17 SE
buttress. On S to E and W similar window and buttress. To W of centre C16 gabled
porch with C20 S face of diagonal buttresses and perpendicular doorway with
C18 door. In W end small C13 2-light trefoiled window with quatrefoil in head.
N aisle has C13 2-light trefoiled window in E end, NE buttresses and central
N C19 gabled brick porch. Each side C17 buttress and square headed 2-light
trefoiled window. NW buttress and small C13 squareheaded 2-light trefoiled W
window. W bay of nave has each side C13 slightly pointed lancet and clasps
sides of tower. Tower has to W stepped diagonal buttresses to end stage C19
rendered brick battlemented top stage. To S low set roundheaded door. To W
reset C13 W door of 3 moulded orders, outer with dog-tooth between beaded rolls,
inner chamfered,outer 2 on shafts with moulded capitals. On each side reset
C15 niches, above single trefoiled light. Inside chancel early C19 vaults under
sanctuary. Timber lintels to S windows. C19 scissor truss roof. Monuments:
to S 1647 Christopher Hearst, inscribed slate in stone frame with Dutch gable
and 3 ball finials; to N 1830 to Rev. Marmaduke Searly, beside brass 1625 to
Thomas Dowse and wife. Under SE window C15 pillar piscina of octagonal bowl
and roses on sides, below octagonal shaft and capital with carved grotesques.
On NW sill stone bowl. C19 corbelled pointed chancel arch. Nave has to N
c1200 3 bay pointed arcade on round piers with multi-calloped capitals.
Similar S arcade with plain capitals. Clerestory has timber lintels. Roof C19
crown post keeping earlier tie beams and crownposts, rest plastered. W bay
has widely splayed rear arches and houses tall organ. At E floor slabs; 1719
to Henry Grey; 1754 to Rev. Nathaniel Ware; 1768 to Mary Hendow; 1779 to
John and Mary Hattatt. In NW tablet 1799 to Jane Hattat. S aisle has chamfered
rear arch to door and W window. Tablets: 1763 to John Merch; 1825 to Elizabeth
Hattatt. Above door early C19 benefactors board. Chamfered pointed rear arches
to N aisle windows. C15 aisle purlin roofs. Pews C19 rebuilt from C17 pews
with various Cl7 dates. VCH: Vol.4: 1911; p496-7.


Listing NGR: SU3081033021

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.