This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1995 / 51°11'58"N
Longitude: -1.5536 / 1°33'12"W
OS Eastings: 431287
OS Northings: 144573
OS Grid: SU312445
Mapcode National: GBR 61B.Q1Y
Mapcode Global: VHC2Y.131S
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 30 April 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1093882
English Heritage Legacy ID: 140538
Location: Monxton, Test Valley, Hampshire, SP11
District: Test Valley
Civil Parish: Monxton
Built-Up Area: Monxton
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Monxton St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
3144 MONXTON MONXTON
9/8 Church of St Mary
Parish church. Of Norman origin, rebuilt 1854 by Woodyer. Flint and tile.
Aisleless nave and chancel, with vestry north of the chancel, and a south
porch. Plain roof, cast-iron rainwater- leads dated 1852. At the west end is
a belfry, with a small broach spire and bell-stage clad in shingles, supported
on the west wall and 2 massive stepped buttresses. Flint walls with stone
dressings: buttresses at the east end of the nave, cill band round the chancel:
windows are coupled lights with plate tracery, some cusped lancets, and a
traceried 3-light east window. The porch is timber-framed on a low base wall,
with cusped openings above panels, and ornamental gabled framework. The
interior is entirely Victorian, except for the responds (c 1200) supporting the
chancel arch. On the north side of the nave, at its east end, are 2 small
wall-brasses, of 1599 and 1662.
Listing NGR: SU3119844509
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings