This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1077 / 51°6'27"N
Longitude: -1.0291 / 1°1'44"W
OS Eastings: 468068
OS Northings: 134719
OS Grid: SU680347
Mapcode National: GBR B8H.JN8
Mapcode Global: VHDYJ.3FT5
Entry Name: Semaphore Farm and Boundary Stones
Listing Date: 11 October 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1093957
English Heritage Legacy ID: 142354
Location: Four Marks, East Hampshire, Hampshire, GU34
District: East Hampshire
Civil Parish: Four Marks
Built-Up Area: Four Marks
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Four Marks The Good Shepherd
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 63 SE FOUR MARKS TELEGRAPH LANE
4/1 Semaphore Farm and Boundary
Telegraph house, now small dwelling. Rendered walls, stone cills, high plinth.
Double-pile hipped roof to the dwelling, one with a painted brick stack, hipped
roof to the operations wing. The dwelling part is a square block of 1 storey,
above a semi-basement, with 2 windows to each of 3 elevations (one blank on the
north), with one basement window to the east and west sides, within oval wells.
The south side is masked by a smaller rectangular block (in a central position,
being the former operations room), again above a semi-basement, a window to
each face (only the north remaining), with a cellar window. Sashes in reveals.
Plain entrances in the angles between the two blocks, approached by steps: a
cellar door beside the entrance to the dwelling. The building is little-
altered. Within the curtilage are two small stone pillars, one with the
government mark, defining the original boundary of the site. Built as one of
the stations of the semaphore telegraph, developed by Sir Home Riggs Popham;
this was a line extending westwards towards Plymouth, having branched from the
London to Portsmouth route at Chatley Heath (Surrey) 1829.
Listing NGR: SU6802134761
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings