History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Manor House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Chawton, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1286 / 51°7'43"N

Longitude: -0.9894 / 0°59'21"W

OS Eastings: 470813

OS Northings: 137079

OS Grid: SU708370

Mapcode National: GBR B8C.2PT

Mapcode Global: VHDYB.SWSP

Entry Name: The Manor House

Listing Date: 31 July 1963

Last Amended: 11 October 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1093971

English Heritage Legacy ID: 142289

Location: Chawton, East Hampshire, Hampshire, GU34

County: Hampshire

District: East Hampshire

Civil Parish: Chawton

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Chawton St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Alton

Listing Text

SU 73 NW CHAWTON FORMER A32

2/22 The Manor House
31.7.63 (Formerly listed as Stables
G.V. II* at Chawton House)

One dwelling, but built as a medieval stone manor house, and converted to
stables when the larger mansion was constructed in the late C16. C15, 1593,
Cl7, and late C20 restoration (to a dwelling). Walls of mixed flint and stone
rubble, with stone dressings, and brick dressings (at sides and rear) of C16
and late C20 date, 1st floor weathered band in brickwork, brick plinth band;
the walls indicate altered fenestration at the front, with a more complex pattern
of changes at the rear. Plain tiled roof, coved eaves in brickwork, 2 late
C20 'Tudor' stacks. Rectangular block, with wings brought forward at each side.
South west front 2 storeys; 1.2.1 windows. Casements, in C17 stone mullioned
(1st floor) and mullioned and transomed (ground floor) frames, with cement
surrounds. Central 4-centred arched doorway, beneath a hood mould. Above
doorway is a device of patterned stone and dark flint, incorporating the
leaded letters and figures 1 1593 K (John Knight). The rear elevation has
late C20 casements, within cambered arches and quoins of brickwork. To the north
end is attached a C20 single-storeyed entrance lobby, with a tile roof, brick
walls, and a plain doorway.


Listing NGR: SU7087637028

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.