This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.167 / 51°10'1"N
Longitude: -0.8786 / 0°52'42"W
OS Eastings: 478505
OS Northings: 141461
OS Grid: SU785414
Mapcode National: GBR C98.LQZ
Mapcode Global: VHDY6.QXDR
Entry Name: Telegraph House
Listing Date: 14 September 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1094009
English Heritage Legacy ID: 142173
Location: Binsted, East Hampshire, Hampshire, GU34
District: East Hampshire
Civil Parish: Binsted
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Binsted Holy Cross
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 74 SE BINSTED THE STREET
4/82 Telegraph House
House. 1829. Rougheast walls and slate roof. The building was erected as a
semaphore signalling station (Sir Home Riggs Popham system) on a line from
Chatley Heath, a station on the London to Portsmouth line, westwards towards
Plymouth. There is a central (almost square) 3-storeyed block with a flat roof,
and 2-storeyed (originally single-storeyed) north and south wings; west elevation
of 2.3.2, storeys. 1.1.1 windows. Plain walls, parapet with coping and moulded
cornice, 1st floor band to the centre, continuing (as original cornices) round
the wings, plain openings, plinth. Sashes in reveals. There is a single-
storeyed extension at the centre of the east side, of 1 window, with a plain
arched (south) doorway. A single-storeyed C20 wing extends from the north-east
corner, as a service wing and garage. The wings (upper part) have slate roofs.
Originally known as the River Hill Station.
Listing NGR: SU7850641459
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings