History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II Listed Building in Headley, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1199 / 51°7'11"N

Longitude: -0.8273 / 0°49'38"W

OS Eastings: 482174

OS Northings: 136277

OS Grid: SU821362

Mapcode National: GBR DC7.MPM

Mapcode Global: VHDYM.M30T

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 31 July 1963

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1094029

English Heritage Legacy ID: 142221

Location: Headley, East Hampshire, Hampshire, GU35

County: Hampshire

District: East Hampshire

Civil Parish: Headley

Built-Up Area: Headley Down

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Headley All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Frensham

Listing Text

SU 83 NW HEADLEY HIGH STREET

8/35 Church of All Saints

31/07/63 II

Parish Church. C14 Tower, the church being rebuilt 1859, by Flockton of Sheffield.
Stone walls, and tiled roof. Aisleless nave (1380 rebuilt 1859), and chancel with
north vestry, south porch (1899) and west tower. Plain roof. Ashlar walls, with
buttresses (diagonal to chancel), plinth, coupled traceried windows beneath
hoodmoulds, large east window and west window to the south side of the nave. The
tower, of 1380, has a castellated parapet with corner pinnacles (added when a
steeple was burnt down in 1836). The gabled porch has a timber france on a low
stone wall. Inside, there are Victorian fittings, one early feature being the
tower arch at the north side of the nave west wall, where it gives entrance to the
lower original floor level; the other feature is the nave roof, having original
king-post trusses. Beside the font, on the floor, are 2 small brasses of c1510
of a male and female figure. The nave has good wall monuments, of the C18 and
early C19, and at the extreme west end, at each side, are C18 (repositioned) altar
paintings, one of Moses and the other Aaron, shown as turbanned figures within a
wide frame with arched head. The small window on the north side of the chancel
contains medieval glass (c1260) showing a saint, kneeling for execution.


Listing NGR: SU8217236177

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.