This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1961 / 51°11'45"N
Longitude: -0.8792 / 0°52'45"W
OS Eastings: 478408
OS Northings: 144695
OS Grid: SU784446
Mapcode National: GBR C8W.SN9
Mapcode Global: VHDY6.Q61D
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 31 July 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1094090
English Heritage Legacy ID: 142065
Location: Bentley, East Hampshire, Hampshire, GU10
District: East Hampshire
Civil Parish: Bentley
Built-Up Area: Bentley (East Hampshire)
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Bentley St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 74 SE BENTLEY CHURCH LANE
4/3 Church of St. Mary
Parish church. C12, C13, C15, with substantial restoration, including nave
arcade aisles, of 1890, by Henry Woodyer. Flint walls and tiled roof. Norman
chancel with north chapel (C12) and south chapel (C13), nave of 3 bays, with
aisles and arcade added 1890, west tower (C1200 and C18), and south porch. The
exterior is mostly restored, with 3 parallel roofs (lower at the east end), and
walls of flint with stone dressings. There are old lancets to the chapels and
2 Perpendicular windows to the south aisle (made up of old fragments from the
west windows of the chapels), stepped buttresses at most corners. The tower
is roughcast (on stonework) in its lower part, with massive diagonal buttresses,
the upper stage being of brickwork (C18) with some diaper patterns, and a
crenellated parapet. Inside, the nave is Victorian, and contains a Norman
Purbeck arcaded font on a Victorian Early English base. The Tower arch is c1200.
The arcade on the north side of the chancel has been raised, the original round
columns having scalloped caps; above are 3 C15 clerestory windows. The chancel
south side has C15 round columns with moulded caps. These are piscinas in the
chancel and chapels (of C12, C13, and C14), and the east end roof has old timbers.
Jacobean communion rail.
Listing NGR: SP7396140752
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings