History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Mulberry House

A Grade II Listed Building in Bentworth, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1576 / 51°9'27"N

Longitude: -1.0474 / 1°2'50"W

OS Eastings: 466712

OS Northings: 140249

OS Grid: SU667402

Mapcode National: GBR B7X.60X

Mapcode Global: VHD0V.S5MD

Entry Name: Mulberry House

Listing Date: 31 July 1963

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1094119

English Heritage Legacy ID: 141923

Location: Bentworth, East Hampshire, Hampshire, GU34

County: Hampshire

District: East Hampshire

Civil Parish: Bentworth

Built-Up Area: Bentworth

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Bentworth St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Shalden

Listing Text

SU 64 SE BENTWORTH VILLAGE STREET

3/41 Mulberry House

II
31/07/63
House, former rectory. 1818, with service wing of the mid C19. Stucco walls,
painted brickwork to the wing, and a slate roof. A square block of plain
classical design; 2 storeys and attic, symmetrical front (south-east) of 3
windows. Low-pitched hipped roof, with raised lead flat in the centre, central
small flat-roofed dormer. Plain walls, moulded fascia to the low parapet,
1st floor plain cill band, plinth. Sashes in reveals, small circular lights
(west side filled) on each side of the entrance. Doric porch of 2 columns'in
antis', with side walls with pilasters at the corner and against the main wall,
smooth columns, and entablature with dentils and triglyphs, interior soffit with
guttae decoration, a plain panel above the wide doorway, and ½ glazed double doors,
all on 2 steps. The garden elevation (north-west) has similar details, but
there is a round headed lower central window and balcony with wrought iron rails,
beneath a panelled feature (an arch between pilasters supporting a segmental head)
and a low central doorway with ½ glazed door; the ground floor has triple sashes
beneath cambered arches. The south-west elevation has a narrow central 1st
floor window, stacks joined by a balustraded parapet, and lead rain-water heads
dated 1818, at the north east side there is a lower narrow 1-bay continuation
of the main block, set back from each elevation and this links to the later
wing. The service block is symmetrical, with a 2-storeyed centrepiece and
single-storeyed wings on each side (one with a high dormer), 1.1.1 windows;
hipped roof in the centre, with brick dentil eaves, painted brick walls with
cambered openings, and sashes (triple-lights to the centre).


Listing NGR: SU6671240251

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.