History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Mary's Home Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Alton, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1465 / 51°8'47"N

Longitude: -0.973 / 0°58'22"W

OS Eastings: 471935

OS Northings: 139081

OS Grid: SU719390

Mapcode National: GBR C9J.0TJ

Mapcode Global: VHDYC.2FZY

Entry Name: St Mary's Home Chapel

Listing Date: 13 June 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1094145

English Heritage Legacy ID: 141894

Location: Alton, East Hampshire, Hampshire, GU34

County: Hampshire

District: East Hampshire

Civil Parish: Alton

Built-Up Area: Alton (East Hampshire)

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: The Resurrection Alton

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Chawton

Listing Text

TURK STREET
1.
5236
St Mary's Home Chapel
SU 7139 2/100
II
2.

Chapel to design of W D Caröe (1857 - 1928), with architectural details of high
quality; set in a hollow, surrounded by steep banks on SW, NW and NE. Foundation
stone of 1913. Roughcast walls with stone dressings; slate roofs; low shingled
centre tower with pyramidal roof and finial. SW end with slate-hung gable and
pentice over two narrow trefoil-headed lancets; nave roof descends low to each
side over "outshuts", each with SW slate-hung gable and pentice over single-
light lancet; central entrance with ashlar architrave with coved and embattled
entablature. From S end, SE elevation of nave with a tall single-light and
a two-light window to nave, the latter with foliated label; transept with close-
studded gablet with pentice at eaves level over two-light window, sanctuary
lit by a flat-arched four-light window strip with cinquefoil headed lights and
carved spandrels. Roof continues to NE over outshut. NE elevation with pyramidal
roof and witha large cross picked out in red tile on the wall below. In NW elevation
the roof descends lower over corridor wing of Chapel, its fenestration visible
in the contemporary link wing with glazed roof connecting chapel with mid C19
house. To North of this wing, an ashlar porch with parapet, two-centred doorway
with carved spandrels and statue in canopied niche beside it. To North again,
a low side wing lit by a canted three-light bay window and a two-light window,
both with leaded lights. Vaulted interior divided into bays by stone ribs;
wood embattled cornice; wood boarded belfry tower; panelled plaster sanctuary
ceiling with intersecting wooden ribs and bosses; two stone doorways at North
end of sanctuary; stone sedilia and piscina. SW end of chapel interior with
central stone doorway with segmental gallery opening above. Until 1983, gilded
reredos, probably by Caröe, and two contemporary side pews.

Listing NGR: SU7092839639

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.