This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.158 / 51°9'28"N
Longitude: -1.0499 / 1°2'59"W
OS Eastings: 466540
OS Northings: 140289
OS Grid: SU665402
Mapcode National: GBR B7W.CCR
Mapcode Global: VHD0V.R5B3
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 31 July 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1094149
English Heritage Legacy ID: 141902
Location: Bentworth, East Hampshire, Hampshire, GU34
District: East Hampshire
Civil Parish: Bentworth
Built-Up Area: Bentworth
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Bentworth St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 64 SE BENTWORTH BENTWORTH
3/29 Church of St Mary
Parish church. Late C12, early and late C13, restoration of 1849 and 1891.
Flint walls and tiled roof. Aisleless chancel with small Victorian north
vestry, nave with north and south aisles, west tower and south porch. The nave
arcade (c1175) has 4 pointed Transitional arches, resting on Norman cylindrical
columns with scalloped caps. The C13 chancel has 2 narrow lancets (c1200) on the
north side, and 2 wider lancets (c1250) on each side of a priest's door on the
south side, the triple lancets of the east window being framed (inside) in a
hoodmould with dog-tooth ornament resting on slender jamb shafts with moulded
caps; to the south of the east window is a piscina with trefoil head and short
jamb-shafts: Perpendicular tower arch. The C13 table-top font has cusped
recesses on the sides and the tub support, and 4 separate corner shafts with
moulded caps and base; the oak cover is a panelled pyramid with a ball finial,
and fascia around the base with raised letters "I am given by Martha Hunt Anna
1605". There are several wall monuments; one of 1606 to Nicholas Holdip,
others of the late C18 and early C19, and some in similar traditional style
of the early C20. Within the tower are the corner timber supports to the belfry.
Externally, the building is Victorian, with plain roofs, flint walls with stone
dressings; stepped buttresses, plinth, and in the nave coubled traceried lights.
The bold west tower (1891) has diagonal buttresses with an elaborate arrangement
of steps (some with gabled ornamentation), and at the top is a timber turret,
surmounted by a broach spire.
Listing NGR: SU6681340702
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings