This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9305 / 50°55'49"N
Longitude: -1.5642 / 1°33'51"W
OS Eastings: 430722
OS Northings: 114652
OS Grid: SU307146
Mapcode National: GBR 64M.MBZ
Mapcode Global: FRA 76MN.0G2
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 10 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1094384
English Heritage Legacy ID: 143371
Location: Copythorne, New Forest, Hampshire, SO40
District: New Forest
Civil Parish: Copythorne
Built-Up Area: Bartley
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Copythorne St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
COPYTHORNE ROMSEY ROAD
SU 31 SW
4/1 Church of St Mary
Parish church. 1834 by T Benham and 1891 by Butterfield. Walls of red
brickwork in English bond with stone dressings, stepped buttresses
(diagonal at corners),tall bands, window heads, eave fascia. Slate roofs.
Nave of three bays with very narrow aisles, western tower incorporating the
entrance lobby and west door, with taller chancel added at the second date.
Coupled lancets, the eastern bay (original east end) having triple lancets
beneath two lancets beneath two quatrefoils, two lancets to each wall of
the chancel, one east end with higher quatrefoil window. Tower of three
stages, with pointed and chamfered arches within hoodmoulds, a crenellated
parapet and plain (cemented) corner pinnacles. Plain interior with slender
columns, the arcading being opening timber framing, repeated at a higher
level across the chancel. The lower chancel walls are panelled. The
pulpit and lectern are on the line of the first step, half way related to
the original layout. There is an octagonal font of C15 style. A western
gallery is supported on slender columns. A Royal Coat of Arms (1834?)
hangs on the north wall.
Listing NGR: SU3061014677
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings