History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Manor House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Buriton, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9754 / 50°58'31"N

Longitude: -0.9468 / 0°56'48"W

OS Eastings: 474036

OS Northings: 120083

OS Grid: SU740200

Mapcode National: GBR CCH.MG7

Mapcode Global: FRA 86XJ.LYX

Entry Name: The Manor House

Listing Date: 16 March 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1094597

English Heritage Legacy ID: 142785

Location: Buriton, East Hampshire, Hampshire, GU31

County: Hampshire

District: East Hampshire

Civil Parish: Buriton

Built-Up Area: Buriton

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Buriton St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth

Find accommodation in
Buriton

Listing Text

7420 BURITON NORTH LANE

13/14 The Manor House

16.3.54 II*

Mansion. C18 exterior, but the older rear part has a timber-framed origin (C16,
C17): C19 restoration and small service extensions. The main block has brick
walls, the front of blue headers, with flush red dressings (quoins, rubbed flat
arches), stone plinth band, eaves cornice of moulded brick dentils beneath stone
cymatium, stone coping to parapet, stone keys, and stone plain 1st floor band: the
south side elevation is of Flemish bond with blue headers, similar details: the
north side is now roughcast. The rear wing is of ashlar malmstone with brick
dressings (quoins, cambered arches, brick dentil eaves), stone plinth band and 1st
floor band. Tile roof, hipped above the main block. Symmetrical east front of
three storeys, 1.3.1 windows: parapet with cornice, sash windows. The stone
doorcase has a moulded cornice, pulvinated frieze, eared architrave, and half-
glazed door. The south side of the main block has a full-height half-hexagon bay
at the east side: three storeys, 1.3 windows, and similar details. The rear wing
is set back from the south end of the main block, is symmetrical, of two storeys,
six windows (westernmost filled): casements above sashes. At each side there is
a brick porch with a pediment, a plain frieze continuing from the 1st floor band,
an arched opening with stone key and plinth, and a plain door within. The north
face of the rear wing is altered (late C19) but of similar features; there is
a massive chimney at the west end. Minor single-storeyed additions at the west
end. Interior: C18 oak staircase, C17 panelling in the older rear wing, with
some timber framing. At one time, the home of Edward Gibbon.
Ref: Country Life, 12 November 1948.


Listing NGR: SU7403820080

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.