This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8723 / 50°52'20"N
Longitude: -1.5778 / 1°34'39"W
OS Eastings: 429805
OS Northings: 108168
OS Grid: SU298081
Mapcode National: GBR 65C.9WN
Mapcode Global: FRA 76LS.M56
Entry Name: Church of St Michael and All Angels
Listing Date: 13 May 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1094725
English Heritage Legacy ID: 144390
Location: Lyndhurst, New Forest, Hampshire, SO43
District: New Forest
Civil Parish: Lyndhurst
Built-Up Area: Lyndhurst
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Lyndhurst St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 20 NE LYNDHURST HIGH STREET
6/22 Church of St Michael and
Parish church. 1858-68 by W White, interior features by Pre-Raphaelite artists.
Polychromatic brickwork of 2 shades of red, yellow and white, stone dressings,
plain tile roof. Loosely early English Geometric in style, with many features
of White's design. Complex plan of sanctuary and 2 bay chancel; 5 bay nave with
tall transepts and lean-to aisles with gabled dormers to clerestory; north porch
and north-west tower of 3 stages and spire. The exterior though White's master-
piece,with many personal features such as the gabled doors, tracery and doorways,
is outshone by the architecture and decoration of the magnificent interior. Very
large space. Brickwork exposed with its polychromatic patterns. At east end is
stained-glass by E Burne-Jones. Fresco on reredos 1864 by Lord Leighton. On
south wall paintings c1860 by J H Pollen. Monument on north wall (like Easter
Sepulchre) 1863 to Mr and Mrs Hargreaves (who had church built) by G E Street.
Carved timber and wrought-iron screen. North transept has glass by Clayton and
Bell and south transept glass 1862 by Morris & Co, some of their best. In nave
pointed arcades with band of projecting brick corners like chevrons. Capitals of
differing foliage by G W Seale ( who also did screen and pulpit), on piers of 8
Purbeck shafts. Nave roof has large carved angels on braces to trusses. At west
end monument 1882 to Anne Cockerell by S P Cockerell Jun., and glass 1903 by
C E Kempe. In north aisle long window with glass by Powells. At west monument
1798 to Sir Charles Jennings by J Flaxman. Buildings of England; Pevsner; Penguin,
1966; p326-7. A History of the Gothic Revival; .C Eastlake.; 1872.
Listing NGR: SU2988808198
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings