History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gilpins Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Pilley, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7821 / 50°46'55"N

Longitude: -1.54 / 1°32'23"W

OS Eastings: 432527

OS Northings: 98158

OS Grid: SZ325981

Mapcode National: GBR 77Q.TQK

Mapcode Global: FRA 77N0.XHM

Entry Name: Gilpins Cottage

Listing Date: 13 May 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1094760

English Heritage Legacy ID: 144274

Location: Boldre, New Forest, Hampshire, SO41

County: Hampshire

District: New Forest

Civil Parish: Boldre

Built-Up Area: Pilley

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Boldre St John

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Boldre

Listing Text

In the entry for:- BOLDRE PILLEY HILL

14/20 Gilpins Cottage

GV II

The entry should be amended to read:-

SZ 39 NW BOLDRE Pilley Hill

14/20 Gilpins Cottage

GV II

Schools, now cottage. 1791 for Rev.W.Gilpin, altered 1875 when made cottage,
further altered in 1944. Brick, plain tile roof. 1½ storey T-shaped building,
of 2 bay wings, one taller ridged and wider. Road front consists of taller range
and to RH end of lower wing. Between bays large panelled door with small top
panels. Each side 2-light casement and similar over,cutting dentilled cornice, and
with head in gabled dormer with bargeboards. Corner pilasters to LH end and corners
of RH wing. Stack at LH end and on ridge over junction of wings. Front of RH wing
similar except for central gabled porch and in centre sticking up from ridge hip of
taller roof, rewindowed with steel casements after bomb damage in 1944. Was built
as school for 20 boys and 20 girls by Rev.W.Gilpin (d.1804). Superseded by 1875
Church School across the road which contains the plaque removed from the old school in
1875. The Rev. W.Gilpin was Vicar of Boldre 1777-1804.

------------------------------------

SZ 39 NW BOLDRE PILLEY HILL

14/20 Gilpins Cottage

GV II

Schools, now cottage. Late C18 for Rev. W Gilpin, altered C19 when made cottage.
Brick, plain tile roof. 1½ storey, T-shaped building, of 2 bay wings, one taller
ridged and wider. Road front consists of taller range and to RH end of lower wing.
Between bays large panelled door with small top panels. Each side 2-light casement
and similar over cutting dentilled cornice and with head in gabled dormer with
bargeboards. Corner pilasters to LH end and corners of RH wing. Stack at LH end
and on ridge over junction of wings. Front of RH wing similar except for central
gabled porch and in centre sticking up from ridge hip of taller roof. Was built
as school for 20 boys and 20 girls by Rev. W Gilpin (d 1804). Superseded by
C19 National School across the road.


Listing NGR: SZ3252698157

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.