This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8476 / 50°50'51"N
Longitude: -1.7951 / 1°47'42"W
OS Eastings: 414522
OS Northings: 105360
OS Grid: SU145053
Mapcode National: GBR 53Y.WG7
Mapcode Global: FRA 764V.LHT
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Listing Date: 30 September 1964
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1094964
English Heritage Legacy ID: 143715
Location: Ringwood, New Forest, Hampshire, BH24
District: New Forest
Civil Parish: Ringwood
Built-Up Area: Ringwood
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Ringwood St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 1405 RINGWOOD MARKET PLACE
15/16 Church of St Peter and St Paul
Parish Church. 1853-5 by F & H Francis. Rough dressed squared Swanage stone,
limestone dressings, plain tile roof. Cruciform plan of chancel with north
vestry (now linked to C20 meeting room), central tower, north and south transepts,
aisled nave and south porch. Tall restrained church in late Early English/early
Decorated style. East end of chancel has stepped triple lancet window with hoodmould
angle buttresses. On sides 8 lancets with hoodmoulds that are linked, hipped
buttresses between each pair, still level string that runs round them. Tower has
octagonal south-east stair tower to 2nd stage with small slit-lights. At west
end angle buttresses, similar square-plan tower with offset to top stage which
has paired Decorated 2-light louvred bell openings south side has clock face.
Moulded cornice below battlemented parapet with merlons pierced by quatrefoils.
South transept has to east 2 paired lancets and buttress between. To south
stepped quintuple lancet with hoodmould. Quatrefoil window in gable. Angle
buttresses. North transept has vestry along east wall. Triple lancet north
window with quatrefoil in gable and angle buttresses. Aisles have lower pitched
lead roof. On sides 4 Decorated 3-light trefoiled window, sloping topped buttresses
between. Corbelled parapet which carries round west end. Gabled south porch
with 3-order archway and gable wall with angle buttresses. Windows in aisles,
central 3-order west doorway, above 5-light Decorated window. Inside chancel rere
arches to pairs of lancets and at east with marble shafts, string below. Stained
glass 1857 by Ward and Hughes. 1870 reredos trefoiled arches under gables, marble
panelling each side. South east late C13 double piscina. Arch-braced roof. Brass
to John Prophete 1416 in slab. 2 order chancel arch on cluster of 3 large columns.
3 steps down. 3 similar arches in crossing. To north organ and monument 1724 to
Henry Compton. To south transept chapel has monuments; 1681 to Barth Layton,
1768 to George Bright and family; 1760 to Hackman; 1778 to John Maule; high-set
1766 William Barfoot; 1784 John Briney; 1801 to James Mowbray. Both have hammerbeam
roofs. Nave has 4 bay aisles on clustered shafts. Hammerbeam roof and principal
rafter roof in aisles. North-east marble pulpit. In north aisles 3 hatchment
boards, In south aisle 2 hatchment boards; monuments at east John and Anne Willis
1716-1727 to Newman family; 1785 to Arthur Newman; 1824 to Gally. VCH; 1911;
Vol IV; p611-2.
Listing NGR: SP1523004800
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings