This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8194 / 50°49'9"N
Longitude: -1.3097 / 1°18'34"W
OS Eastings: 448722
OS Northings: 102428
OS Grid: SU487024
Mapcode National: GBR 88Y.KPR
Mapcode Global: FRA 864X.X5R
Entry Name: Watersports Hangar (Calshot Former Rnas Station Circa 250 Metres West of Castle)
Listing Date: 8 April 1988
Last Amended: 3 March 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1095045
English Heritage Legacy ID: 143502
Location: Fawley, New Forest, Hampshire, SO45
District: New Forest
Civil Parish: Fawley
Built-Up Area: Ower
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Fawley All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 29/11/2011
Canoe Hangar (Calshot former RNAS
Station c160 metres west of Castle
The grade shall be amended to II*
The entry shall be amended to read:-
SU 40 SE FAWLEY CALSHOT
1860-/13/31 Watersports Hangar (Calshot former RNAS
08/04/88 Station c250 metres west of Castle)
Watersports hangar, former flying boat hangar. 1914 or possibly earlier. Timber-framed, with corrugated
metal cladding and pitched and felted wooden roof. 10 bay rectangular plan, covering area of approx
720 square metres. Sliding wooden doors to west, those to east having an unusual surviving set of
wooden "roll-up" wooden slat doors. Single storey outshut to north. Range of 5 lights to south.
Interior: wooden lattice braced "bowstring" roof trusses.
Historical Note: A unique surviving example of this type of hangar, later hangars of the WW1 period
having 100ft spans rather than 80ft span of this important early example, the earliest known example
of its type: it was probably built to accommodate the modestly-sized Sopwith Bat Boat, used at Calshot
from 1913. Part of an outstanding group of 1914-18 aircraft hangars which illustrate the development
of aircraft technology during the World War 1 period: see Main Hangar (qv). Its design is said to be
associated with Barnes Wallis, although there is no firm evidence for this: Wallis was employed on
airship design work by Vickers Ltd before WW1. Associated with the famous Schneider Trophy
seaplane contests held at Calshot in 1929 and 1931.
Listing NGR: SU4551803243
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings