This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.034 / 51°2'2"N
Longitude: -1.1586 / 1°9'30"W
OS Eastings: 459095
OS Northings: 126404
OS Grid: SU590264
Mapcode National: GBR 97Z.1X0
Mapcode Global: FRA 86GD.2GH
Entry Name: Kilmeston Manor
Listing Date: 5 December 1955
Last Amended: 19 December 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1095110
English Heritage Legacy ID: 145440
Location: Kilmiston, Winchester, Hampshire, SO24
Civil Parish: Kilmiston
Built-Up Area: Kilmeston
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Kilmeston St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 52 NE KILMESTON KILMESTON
5/43 Kilmeston Manor
5.12.55 (formerly listed as The
GV II* Manor House)
Small country house. C16, C17, c1720, c1780, 1894, 1906. Part timber-frame encased
in brick, gables tilehung, brick additions, old plain tile roof. C16 timber-frame
building of hall with crosswing. Opposite crosswing C17 service wing added and
later this side give brick face with decorated brick gable end to service wing,
and at other end of hall to projecting 2 storey porch. Porch front has pilasters
rising into gable with scroll and ball finials above. 1st floor string course
entablature with vine frieze, and modillioned moulded cornice with sash built off
it. In gable between finials short, similar entablature below opening for small
C18 16-pane sash and above window even shorter length with similar decoration.
Other front rebuilt c1720 by Ridge family when they inherited the manor, encasing
crosswing in brick and rebuilding hall. When Sir Thomas Ridge, founder of the
Hampshire Hunt, was entertaining George III and the Prince Regent, c1780 he built a
matching wing to the crosswing with large rooms. House restored internally in
1894 when dining hall built and front door to late C18 end where covered entrance
was built. In 1906 this was replaced by bathroom wing and Dutch gabled porch.
C18 front has centre part of 3 storeys, 5 bays with slightly projecting central bay,
and 2 storey 2 bay wings projecting forward 2 bays. Central 6 panel double door
having architrave surround in doorcase of Ionic pilasters, frieze and modillioned
cornice, and pediment. Each side 12-pane segmental headed sashes with rubbed brick
arches. Above 5 similar windows with all except centre having blank panels below
window. 2nd floor has 5 6-pane single sashes with similar features. Wings each
have 4 tall 18-pane segmental head sashes, but one in left wing is door with
fanlight. Thick glazing bars except in right wing. Lead hopper heads and downpipes.
Plain parapet with small stone coping. Roof hipped with small stacks on right side
of each wing and behind ridge of central roof each end and to right of centre.
Internally in late C17 porch wing early C18 panelling, and C18 staircase and late
C18 panelling in late C18 wing built for royalty. VCH; 1908; Vol 3; p 323.
'Buildings of England'; N Pevsner; Penguin; 1966; p309.
Listing NGR: SU5909526404
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings