History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Old Alresford, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0992 / 51°5'57"N

Longitude: -1.1614 / 1°9'41"W

OS Eastings: 458813

OS Northings: 133654

OS Grid: SU588336

Mapcode National: GBR 976.15K

Mapcode Global: FRA 86G6.TLW

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 16 November 1983

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1095184

English Heritage Legacy ID: 145200

Location: Old Alresford, Winchester, Hampshire, SO24

County: Hampshire

District: Winchester

Civil Parish: Old Alresford

Built-Up Area: Old Alresford

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Old Alresford St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
New Alresford

Listing Text

SU 53 SE OLD ALRESFORD OLD ALRESFORD

8/40 Church of St Mary

II*

Church. Totally rebuilt 1753, 1769 and remodelled 1862 by John Colson. Brick
with flint panels, Portland stone dressings, old plain tile roof with pointed
ridge tiles. Nave and chancel built 1753, tower built 1769, south transept
and N vestry to chancel added in 1862 remodelling. Tower unaltered with clasp-
ing buttresses, stone string courses, W doorway with rustication of alternating
sizes, on each face a pair of arched bell openings and a parapet stepped up at
corners to ball finials. Nave 5 bays had arched C18 windows, now has C19 2-
light perpendicular window, as are other windows, and above C19 offset and
toothed cornice. Inside plastered, arched braced truss against tower wall, and
old purlins with wind braces in chancel roof. Rest of roof C19 king post truss,
and C19 arches at crossing. Large monument on N nave wall 1757 by Sir Henry
Cheere to Jane wife of, with added plaque 1792 to, Admiral Lord Rodney. White,
pink, orange and black marble, an inscription panel with scroll and garland
carvings around. Above 2 seated allegorical figures with hook and anchor on
ledge on which inscribed sarcophagus stands. Bust in circular recess at top
and above it large broken pediment. In chancel oval monument 1760 to Mrs
Davenport with carving of dog guarding keys and monument 1823 by William
Behnes to Esther North. In Nave oak plaque to Mary Sumner wife of rector and
founder of Mother's Union 1876.


Listing NGR: SU5876034222

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.