History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cardew House

A Grade II Listed Building in New Alresford, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0905 / 51°5'25"N

Longitude: -1.1589 / 1°9'31"W

OS Eastings: 459003

OS Northings: 132690

OS Grid: SU590326

Mapcode National: GBR 976.FV6

Mapcode Global: FRA 86G7.NB0

Entry Name: Cardew House

Listing Date: 5 December 1955

Last Amended: 16 November 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1095223

English Heritage Legacy ID: 145094

Location: New Alresford, Winchester, Hampshire, SO24

County: Hampshire

District: Winchester

Civil Parish: New Alresford

Built-Up Area: New Alresford

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: New Alresford St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
New Alresford

Listing Text

SU 53 SE NEW ALRESFORD EAST STREET
(North Side)

8/57 No 29
(Cardew House) (formerly
5.12.55 listed as Cardew Hotel)
GV II

Large house. Mid C18, early and late C19. Brick and tile. Symmetrical front
(south) of 2 storeys and attic, 5 windows, with a wide addition at the east
side (of the middle date) of 1 window. Walling of red brickwork in Flemish
bond (with blue headers to the later wing) cement plain architraves, stone
cills. Victorian sashes (sashes of the early C19 at the east wing): 3 gabled
dormers with bargeboards and sashs. Doric porch with open pediment and panelled
soffit, 2 pilasters and 2 columns, with fluted necking, wide-arched-opening
with radiating fanlight, 6-panelled door. The original double-pile roof has
been replaced with a flat centre, overlapping with a tile-hung vertical at the
top of the front slope, with sash windows (the west an oriel) in the end gables,
which are flanked by chimneys. The house has a shallow forecourt, the east side
stopped by a single-storeyed service wing (i.e. up to the highway) of brick and
tile, and the west side by a high brick boundary wall (Flemish Garden Wall bond)
on a plinth.


Listing NGR: SU5901032690

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.