History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Langtons

A Grade II* Listed Building in New Alresford, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0899 / 51°5'23"N

Longitude: -1.1578 / 1°9'28"W

OS Eastings: 459078

OS Northings: 132620

OS Grid: SU590326

Mapcode National: GBR 976.N3D

Mapcode Global: FRA 86G7.NRG

Entry Name: Langtons

Listing Date: 5 December 1955

Last Amended: 16 November 1983

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1095229

English Heritage Legacy ID: 145109

Location: New Alresford, Winchester, Hampshire, SO24

County: Hampshire

District: Winchester

Civil Parish: New Alresford

Built-Up Area: New Alresford

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: New Alresford St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
New Alresford

Listing Text

SU 53 SE NEW ALRESFORD EAST STREET
(South Side)

8/61 Langtons (formerly listed
5.12.55 as Langton House)
II*

House. circa 1760, early & late C19. Brick and rendered walls, tile roof.
Symmetrical front (north) of 3 storeys, 2.1.2-windows, with later forward-
projecting single-storeyed wings (the east side a screen, the west a service
block). Brick walling in blue headers with red flush dressings; the openings
being within vertical flush panels, rubbed flat arches, 1st and 2nd floor
bands, plinth. Stone features including coping to parapet, moulded cornice
with small modillions, cills, and keystone to the central 1st floor Venetian
light. Sashes in reveals. Doric doorcase, with open pediment, cornice broken
above double fluted pilasters (separated by narrow windows), 3 triglyphs,
arched opening with keystone, radiating fanlight, 6-panelled door above stone
steps. The wings are symmetrical of 3 bays (the central wider), rendered, with
parapet, cornice, plain pilasters and high plinth; the west side has 3 sash
windows, the east a trellis infilling between square columns. The plain rear
elevation (of 5 irregular windows) has a hipped tile roof, brick dentil eaves,
rendered walling, 1st and 2nd floor bands, sashes in reveals (deep to the
ground floor): on each side a large single-storeyed slightly projecting wing,
with a Venetian opening to French doors. The interior has some early details,
with marble fireplaces, plaster ceiling cornices, and doors.


Listing NGR: SU5894132672

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.