History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Museum Set Back, Between Nos 18 and 20

A Grade II Listed Building in New Alresford, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0902 / 51°5'24"N

Longitude: -1.1654 / 1°9'55"W

OS Eastings: 458549

OS Northings: 132648

OS Grid: SU585326

Mapcode National: GBR 976.L5H

Mapcode Global: FRA 86F7.RSD

Entry Name: Museum Set Back, Between Nos 18 and 20

Listing Date: 16 November 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1095233

English Heritage Legacy ID: 145118

Location: New Alresford, Winchester, Hampshire, SO24

County: Hampshire

District: Winchester

Civil Parish: New Alresford

Built-Up Area: New Alresford

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: New Alresford St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
New Alresford

Listing Text

SU 5832 NEW ALRESFORD POUND HILL

13/3 Museum set back,
between Nos 18 and 20

GV II

Said to have been built as a cloth hall: extended as a chapel. C18, & 1825.
Brick, with a slate roof. 2-storeyed elevations, the side (west) showing that
the front was added at the. later date. Side walls of red brickwork in Flemish
bond, lower windows now filled; slate roof hipped at the north end, and con-
tinued to the south (over former hip) to form a gable. Symmetrical front
(south) of 2 storeys, 3 windows. Pediment gable, enclosing a small arched-headed
opening containing a stone panel inscribed Alresford Chapel 1825. Flemish bond
walling with blue headers, brick dentil eaves, red rubbed flat arches, stone
cills. Sashes in reveals. Wide doorcase of plain Doric style, with a deep frieze,
enclosing a 4-pane rectangular fanlight, and double doors each of 6 panels.
Within, there are 2 cast-ironcolumns supporting the gallery (in the old part).


Listing NGR: SU5855332626

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.