History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Public Library

A Grade II* Listed Building in Winchester, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0652 / 51°3'54"N

Longitude: -1.3161 / 1°18'57"W

OS Eastings: 448019

OS Northings: 129763

OS Grid: SU480297

Mapcode National: GBR 861.4AZ

Mapcode Global: FRA 8649.M3B

Entry Name: The Public Library

Listing Date: 24 March 1950

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1095414

English Heritage Legacy ID: 144660

Location: Winchester, Hampshire, SO23

County: Hampshire

District: Winchester

Town: Winchester

Electoral Ward/Division: St Michael

Built-Up Area: Winchester

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Winchester Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Littleton

Listing Text

JEWRY STREET
1.
1833
(West Side)
The Public Library
SU 4829 NW 3/139 24.3.50.
II*
2.
Completed 1838. O B Carter, Architect. Street front 1 storey. Central
projecting portico with 4 Tuscan stone columns on flight of stone steps,
with symmetrical wings and angle pavilions of yellow stock bricks on stone
plinth, with moulded stone string at springing of window arches, large
rusticated stone quoins, wide flat bracketed eaves cornice. Similar treatment
to pediment over central portico Above the portico is a square bell turret
with brick base, stone string and corner Doric stone pilasters (painted)
crowned with wide eaves cornice, similar to main building, with wooden
painted louvres on each side. All roofs of slate. Building 1+3+2+3+1
windows with doorway in centre. Windows to wings and pavilions have arched
heads with radiating bars. Those in wings evidently altered, and stone
string at springing cut away. Formerly a Corn Exchange. This building
has very strong character and is reminiscent of Smirke's designs. The
whole restored to its original external appearance in 1965, but interior
completely re-modelled.


Listing NGR: SU4800729640

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.