This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0212 / 51°1'16"N
Longitude: -1.3237 / 1°19'25"W
OS Eastings: 447531
OS Northings: 124868
OS Grid: SU475248
Mapcode National: GBR 86F.VJ6
Mapcode Global: FRA 863F.43J
Entry Name: Shawford House
Listing Date: 5 December 1956
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1095710
English Heritage Legacy ID: 146005
Location: Twyford, Winchester, Hampshire, SO21
Civil Parish: Twyford
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Twyford St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
This List Entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 20/04/2016
SU 4724 TWYFORD SHAWFORD ROAD
11/3 Shawford House
5/12/55 (formerly listed under General)
Middle sized country house. 1685 on tablet, altered and extended 1911-3
by - Jewell and repaired internally after fire c1970. Ashlar stone and
brick stacks, old plain tile roofs. Late C17 house of 7 bays with end
2 bays projecting forward on one side and centre 3 bays on other, C18
additions to left end of entrance front with further service buildings by
Jewell and ballroom wing projecting forward from right end. Entrance front
2 storey and attic, on raised plinth, 7 bay with end 2 bays projecting a
bay. Between end bays single storey infill of C20, above 5 stone steps
double doors in architrave with plain pilasters supporting console brackets
with segmental pediment on. Narrow 8-pane sashes each side and balustrade
over. On 1st floor of centre bays round-headed 12-pane sashes each side of
square one. In wings 12-pane sashes, 1st floor string course with bullseye
window in centre just above, and slight architraves around all openings.
Coved timber eaves cornice. Roof hipped with 2 3-light hipped dormers in
centre and one on each wing. End stacks. To right and in front added
ballroom of 1½ storeys, 5 bays with 1 storey quadrant link, running into
5 bay Doric loggia along side of ballroom. Ballroom very Edwardian, well
designed. Garden front 2 storey and attic, 7 bay, centre 3 projecting.
Raised plinth rusticated quoins. Central doorway above 3 steps. Half-
glazed double doors in slightly lugged architrave with pediment over, cutting
1st floor string. Each side in architrave 2-light casement. 11 12-pane
sashes in architraves. Above string between side bays bullseye with wrought
iron screen. Coved timber eaves. Roof hipped and overhanging centre bays.
3 3-light hip-roofed dormers. Ridge stacks each side of centre bays and
end stacks. To left low 2 storey, 5 bay stone addition running on to wall
of service courtyard by J. D. Coleridge in 1908.
Interior damaged by fire in 1960s. In dining room C16 chimneypiece,
and C17 panelling. In library mid-C18 chimneypiece of
marble with timber mantle.
Listing NGR: SU4752724866
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings