This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.053 / 52°3'10"N
Longitude: 1.1608 / 1°9'38"E
OS Eastings: 616808
OS Northings: 244120
OS Grid: TM168441
Mapcode National: GBR VP7.693
Mapcode Global: VHLBT.2NHH
Entry Name: Warehouse Attached to West of Warehouse (The Crossway) at Rear of Numbers 80 and 80a Fore Street
Listing Date: 19 December 1951
Last Amended: 4 August 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1096034
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489925
Location: Ipswich, Suffolk, IP4
Electoral Ward/Division: Alexandra
Built-Up Area: Ipswich
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Ipswich St Clement with St Luke
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
(South side, off)
TM 1644 SE to warehouse at
4/62B rear of Nos 80 and 8OA
Warehouses part now sailing school shops. C17, C18 and C19, altered C2O. C17 range running east-west, red brick in English bond) pantiled roof, linked to
later range by short plaintiled roofed section. C18 and C19 ranges, running north-south, red brick in Flemish bond, plaintile roofs. L plan comprising C17 range on axis of earlier warehouse (qv. 4/62A) and 2 later parallel ranges at right angles and fronting onto Wherry Lane.
C17 range. 2 1/2 storeys, 2 rectangular louvred openings with single raking dormer with pair of boarded doors. Massive timber floors. 2 tier butt purlin and collar
C18 and C19 parallel ranges. Each 3 storeys. North gables. Inner range ground floor door beneath segmental arch. The 3 upper floors each with a window opening beneath similar arch, stay bars, the upper 2 openings are blocked.
Outer range. Diocletian windows to lower and middle storeys, that to ground floor being altered at time of inspection. Circular tie ends to lower floors.
Wherry Lane facade. 3 storeys, 4 doorways with late C2O doors, all but left door behind heavy boarded outer doors. Single window with stay bars to ground floor. 3 openings each to first and upper storeys. Southern end of building occupied by Dinghy School Club, has late C2O ground floor openings; the ground floor also being rendered. Tall loading bay to centre, light below eaves sash window with segmental head to far right, middle storey. South gable ground floor, remodelled, upper 3 floors each with loading bay. Yard facades inner range of several builds and possibly reduced in length with late C2O Fletton brick gable wall. No openings to outer range. Inner range has 3 upper slatted rectangular openings, upper storey loading bay. 3 lower openings to left and centre. Some blocked. 3 raking dormers. Additions to ground floor. Interiors partly inspected. Massive timber floors. Ground floors used as shops.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings