This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8286 / 50°49'43"N
Longitude: -3.4201 / 3°25'12"W
OS Eastings: 300077
OS Northings: 104192
OS Grid: ST000041
Mapcode National: GBR LL.X5CM
Mapcode Global: FRA 36QX.3CV
Entry Name: 58 and 60, Fore Street
Listing Date: 22 January 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1096044
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489936
Location: Bradninch, Mid Devon, Devon, EX5
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Bradninch
Built-Up Area: Bradninch
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Bradninch St Disen
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
1175/0/10010 FORE STREET
22-JAN-03 58 AND 60
House, subdivided into two dwellings. Circa C15; remodelled circa 1830s. Rendered cob. Low-pitched Welsh slate roof, hipped at east end. Axial and lateral stacks with rebuilt brick shafts.
PLAN: 3-room and through-passage plan, the lower end to the right [east] occupied by No.60, the through-passage, hall and inner room occupied by No.58. Originally at least the hall was open to the roof and heated by an open-hearth fire. In about the 1830s the house was remodelled, the eaves were raised and the front was refenestrated; the wing at the rear of the lower end was probably also added at this time as was the range of outbuildings behind the high end of the house which have been converted to dwelling accommodation and a garage.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 5-window south front with 4-, 12-, 16-, and 20-pane sash windows and two circa 1900 canted bay windows with stained glass in the top lights; former through-passage doorway at centre with panelled door and canopy on console brackets and another door to right. Right-hand east return has pointed arch window and 3-light casement on first floor. Rear north, wing on left with hipped roof, 2-storey outshut at centre with margin-pane sash on first floor and long range of outbuildings on right considerably reconstructed in about 2000.
INTERIOR largely the result of 1830s remodelling with joinery of that period, including panelled doors, moulded door architraves, panelled window shutters and late C19 chimneypieces and grates; the early C19 stick baluster staircase with column newels is said to have come from another house. Fine plank-and-muntin screen on higher side of through-passage with a moulded Tudor arch doorway, the lower section missing. Post and lower section of a side-pegged jointed-cruck-truss with evidence of smoke-blackening at rear of former hall. C19 king-post roof structure. Interior of No.60 not inspected.
An 1830s remodelling of a traditional Devon Medieval house with considerable townscape value.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings