This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7488 / 50°44'55"N
Longitude: -1.2752 / 1°16'30"W
OS Eastings: 451232
OS Northings: 94604
OS Grid: SZ512946
Mapcode National: GBR 89S.VVX
Mapcode Global: FRA 8763.K18
Entry Name: Two Water Towers and Latrines and Store Immediately South West of Former Stables at Osborne House
Listing Date: 24 March 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1096050
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490015
Location: East Cowes, Isle of Wight, PO32
County: Isle of Wight
Civil Parish: East Cowes
Built-Up Area: East Cowes
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Isle of Wight
Church of England Parish: Whippingham St Mildred
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
SZ59SW WHIPPINGHAM ROAD
947/7/10019 Osborne estate
24-MAR-03 Two Water Towers, Latrines and Store i
mmediately south west of former stable
s at Osborne House
Water towers, latrines and store to Royal Naval College, Osborne. 1903, 1906-7 and 1913; by Henry Nicholas Hawks, architect of the Office of Works. Pebbledash brick with red brick quoins and applied timber-framing. Plain tile hipped and gable-ended roofs.
PLAN: East water tower built in 1903, extended to south and latrine block added in 1906-7. Store to west also built in 1906-7; and in 1913 a second water tower was built between the store and the first water tower.
EXTERIOR: Pair of tall 3-storey water towers with oversailing timber-framed superstructures with pebbledash panels on timber corbels or joist ends, and with hipped roofs, the east tower with finial and weathervane; the extension to water tower to south forms L-shaped plan and lean-to on east side is the latrine block. The small single-storey detached building with timber-framing in the gable end is the store. Casement windows with glazing bars and plank doors.
INTERIOR: The latrine building is complete with its original fittings.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings