This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.564 / 51°33'50"N
Longitude: -0.6184 / 0°37'6"W
OS Eastings: 495863
OS Northings: 185919
OS Grid: SU958859
Mapcode National: GBR F7F.SKF
Mapcode Global: VHFSW.7YFD
Entry Name: The Stray
Listing Date: 11 November 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1096053
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490019
Location: Farnham Royal, South Bucks, Buckinghamshire, SL2
District: South Bucks
Civil Parish: Farnham Royal
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Farnham Royal
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
411/0/10050 EGYPT LANE
11-NOV-02 Farnham Common
House. c.1910. Henry Thomas Hare, FRIBA [1861-1921] for his family. Brick with brick tile and flint details. Deep A-frame and hipped roofs. Wood frame casements with leaded panes. Brick chimneystacks. Arts and Crafts style.
PLAN: Longitudinal plan with formal rooms along south garden elevation and service rooms and circulation spaces to north.
EXTERIOR: Garden elevation to SOUTH with deep tile roof. Ground floor has advanced bay to each end with 5-light window and corner pilasters curved and advanced further to low piers. Central 3 bays recessed with 3 pairs of doors opening to terrace with wide brick steps to garden. First floor has 3 dormers each with 4-light window and hipped tile roofs, attic has 2 small flat roof dormers. NORTH elevation also deep tile roof with pair of wide chimneystacks below ridge. Central 2-storey porch with steep gable. Gable with tumbled brickwork, first floor 3-light window set in brick tile frame with angled tile mullions. Entrance of 6-panel door with glazed panels at top in deep recess with soffit canopy and splayed reveals each with 4 deep courses of tiled brick. Small single lights to each side of entrance. 3 small flat-roof dormers, that to first floor added in mid-C20. To right, advanced room with hipped tile roof. To left, advanced room with hipped tile roof also that also to left where hipped again, incorporating covered passage to garden. EAST and WEST elevations both with deep gable with advanced eaves and exposed purlins. To East and West, 3 courses of tile brick to attic with 4-light window, above central diamond of tile brick flanked by 3-light windows to first floor. Ground floor to West elevation has 4-light angled bay window to left, and 4-light window to right. East elevation, same but reversed and with service door to far right. All windows with small leaded panes.
INTERIOR: GROUND FLOOR with wood panelled entrance hall with checkerboard black and white stone floor. To left, large kitchen with larder, pantry and scullery, all with original doors, and bell system. To right, lavatory, corridor to study, and stair to first floor with flat stylised balusters over panelling. Study with 6-panel door with glazed lights at top and wood and stone fireplace, flanked by built-in cupboards. South side of house facing gardens with long Drawing Room to west and dining room to east. Drawing Room 4-high panelling to each wall, and 3-bay plaster ceiling in delicate C18 style with centre rose and pomegranate and floral motifs. Wood chimneypiece with shallow pilasters with stone Tudor arch and splayed brick reveals. Panelled partition with central paired doors to Dining Room, similarly detailed but slightly plainer, and with access to service rooms. FIRST FLOOR with stair, bathroom and hall to centre of north side, and 4 bedrooms in U-shaped arrangement. 3 rooms to south side each with dormer window flanked by cupboards, that to southeast is Main Bedroom with bathroom and dressing room, that to centre is small bedroom behind stair to attic. ATTIC stair with stick balusters. Spine corridor lit by pair of small dormers, bedroom to each end.
SUBSIDIARY: Small rendered electricity generating shed with pitched tile roof and fixed multi-pane casements at side of garden.
A richly detailed and well-planned Arts and Crafts house of 1914 by the important Edwardian architect H.T. Hare for his family.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings