This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6155 / 52°36'55"N
Longitude: -2.486 / 2°29'9"W
OS Eastings: 367194
OS Northings: 302082
OS Grid: SJ671020
Mapcode National: GBR BW.88PG
Mapcode Global: WH9DG.SJD7
Entry Name: The Cumberland Hotel
Listing Date: 16 April 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1096062
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490028
Location: Broseley, Shropshire, TF12
Civil Parish: Broseley
Built-Up Area: Broseley
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Broseley with Benthall and Jackfield
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 02/05/2018
Former Cumberland Hotel
Early C18 house constructed of red brick with brown brick mid- and late C19 additions and alterations; plain clay tile roofs.
PLAN: Main range of rectangular plan aligned roughly east-west with subsidiary service ranges to rear (north); full-height gabled range at right-angles to rear at north-east corner of original building and projecting gable to left on main (south) elevation added in mid-C19, former with 2-storey canted bay projection added to its front gable in late C19; lower rambling service ranges, some C18, others C19, to rear. Much of this development can be approximately dated by comparison between the 1838 Tithe Map and the 1882 Ordnance Survey 25" map, the latter of which shows the plan of the building essentially as it is today.
EXTERIOR: SOUTH elevation of 2 storeys has projecting gable to left (see straight joint to left gable end of main range) with dentilled brick cornice to gable and two 12-paned sash windows with brick labels to each floor; central section has truncated external stack to central dentilled gable, added to give symmetry as part of mid-C19 alterations, flanked by 12-paned sashes with labels on first floor, left now replaced by top-hung late C20 window, beneath which is a late C19 or early C20 single-storey projection with three 12-paned sash windows extending to ground. Below the right window is the main entrance, comprising a 4-centred arch with late C20 Jackfield tiles to the recessed porch and an inner 6-panel door with simple fanlight. Right gable (see straight joint between it and rest of range) has late C19 canted bay projection with decorative brick banding and plate-glass sashes, 4-paned to centre and 2-paned to returns, extending to ground. EAST elevation with external stack to left gable end of main range has top rebuilt in mid-C19 brown brick with decorative corbelling and chimney pots to match stack to right gable end, which is flush to wall. Main elevation of mid-C19 addition runs back flush and at right-angles to this gable end with dentilled eaves cornice and three 12-paned sashes to first floor. Ground floor has two dripmoulded tall 12-paned sashes extending to ground; tall ridge and end stacks with similar detailing to those on main range. Lower rambling gabled SERVICE RANGES to rear are painted brick with sashes, 2-light leaded window on first floor of main range, to the left of which a tall 4-paned sash with margin lights and dripstone that lights the main staircase in its gabled projection. Small single-storey range attached to left gable end of main range has 2-light leaded window and 6-panel door in slight projection to front, behind which is a mid-C19 two-storey range with sash window and dripstone to front on first floor.
INTERIOR: Entrance hall has Victorian encaustic tile floor with similar mid-C20 tiles along corridor to kitchen to left; open-well staircase of early C18 date at back of hall has moulded handrail, wreathed and radiating bottom newels and turned balusters, 2 to each tread with carved open string; Victorian plain stained glass in staircase window. The 2 principal ground-floor rooms to the main range are now knocked into one (the hotel dining room) but the original spaces remain clearly defined and each has chamfered spine and cross beams, while a girding beam marks the former position of the front wall. The mid-C19 addition to the right of the entrance hall is divided into 2 large rooms, the front now the lounge bar and the rear the public bar. The former has a marble fireplace with simple columns supporting the mantel shelf and a C19 plaster cornice, probably contemporary with the canted bay addition; 6-panel door in reeded pilastered doorcase leads to entrance hall; the public bar also has a plaster cornice, probably mid-C19, and panelled window shutters; an elliptical arch with panelled reveals formerly contained double doors between the 2 rooms but is now filled by shelving to the public bar. The first floor is more heavily altered by sub-division into hotel bedrooms and bathrooms but some cornicing and 6-panel doors (including some like the front door and the door to the lounge bar with a horizontal emphasis to the centre panels) remain. The mid-C19 addition contains a bathroom with some fine decorative Jackfield wall tiling of c.1900. The attic of the main range, approached by a secondary staircase, has wide oak floorboards and a double-purlin roof, the trusses of which are not visible; plank door with strap hinges between its 2 rooms.
HISTORY: The main range of the building and some of the rear service ranges are shown on the 1838 Tithe Map, the Apportionment for which indicates that part of the site was in use as The Red Lion Public House and owned by Lord Forester. The building was extended in the mid-C19, being shown essentially in its existing form on the 1882 Ordnance Survey 25" map. It became the Cumberland Hotel in 1948 [information from owner].
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings